Printing in Vase Mode with PolySmooth (UMS3)

donogh

Posted · Printing in Vase Mode with PolySmooth (UMS3)

Hey all,

I'm trying to print a transparent 'helmet' for a model. I've attached a 3mf.

With transparent PolySmooth, you can print it thinly and then spray with IPA to increase the transparency (by smoothing the layers).

Attached are my two attempts. The first one was going perfectly until it got near the top. It seems the curvature is just a little too steep for vase mode. The image attached is with a couple of layers of IPA already applied (to illustrate the transparent effect I'm trying to achieve).

I then tried printing it upside down, but it seems it couldn't adhere to the first couple of layers, and I stopped it shortly after (you can see there is a spiral of loose filament on top of the initial layers).

Any idea of settings that might help, please?

I'm printing with a 0.4mm AA core on an Ultimaker S3. Attached images of all my settings.

Only thing I can think of is maybe specifying more top layers?

Thanks!

Donogh

ultimaker s3 -- polysmooth -- glass helmet -- vase mode -- upside down.jpg

ultimaker s3 -- polysmooth -- glass helmet -- vase mode.jpg

settings1.png

settings2.png

settings3.png

settings4.png

ultimaker s3 -- polysmooth -- glass helmet -- vase mode.3mf

Hi donogh,

Try to set "layer height" to 0.04 mm, this is better for layer addition in printing "high overhang". 

Scroll down in the menu to experimental and select "use adaptive layers".

Only this two changes should work well.

This should improve your vase some as it may print up toward 90 deg overhang before lack of support.

In general less layer height improve overhang max angle to just around 90 deg.

(Better angle (you can actually close the top without using support) can be made by increasing wall thickness and decreasing layer height, but not in spiralized  mode.)

Anyway, a little offside..

Good luck.

Torgeir

Thank you Torgeir for the advice, really appreciate it.

I gave it another trying with 0.4mm layer height and adaptive layers. Please see below.

I guess I will need to try turning off spiralized mode, and manually playing with the wall thicknesses.

I did manage to print it fine before but it ended up with very thick walls, which meant it was impossible to achieve transparency with IPA (second attachment).

It seems the solution is somewhere between the two!

Thanks again!

ultimaker s3 -- polysmooth -- glass helmet -- vase mode with adaptive layers.jpg

ultimaker s3 -- polysmooth -- glass helmet -- default settings.jpg

On 7/5/2020 at 2:54 AM, AddMan said:

Hey donogh, you might not have gotten your desired result yet, but I love your 'mistakes' 

Thanks AddMan! 🙂

The effort is continuing! Last night I started experimenting with a source model with thinner walls, and I'm now using the PolySher from Polymaker to do the IPA coating. I'm also waiting on the 0.8mm Print Core, which should work better.

It's a challenge for sure! I'll post my newest test later 🙂

Attached is a rather sad effort that was a result of printing a thinner version of the model. It still seems to be printing too many layers, and no amount of IPA smoothing helps.

I used the PolySher (image attached) for IPA smoothing. It's a pretty impressive device. Going to try it with a regular model today to give it a proper test.

ultimaker s3 -- polysmooth -- glass helmet -- thinner walls.jpg

polysher.jpg

At least each one is unique! 🙂 You could sell them as art......to pay for the filament. 😉

Have you tried using supports, or are you avoiding that in case it impacts on the final quality? Unfortunately any supports that reach to the top are going to add a lot of material and time.

14 hours ago, AddMan said:

At least each one is unique! 🙂 You could sell them as art......to pay for the filament. 😉

Have you tried using supports, or are you avoiding that in case it impacts on the final quality? Unfortunately any supports that reach to the top are going to add a lot of material and time.

Hehe, that'd be nice!

I haven't tried with supports yet. I guess I'll add it to the list! Thanks for the suggestion