UV Ink Resistant Filament?

ktsandhu

Posted · UV Ink Resistant Filament?

Hi All, I have a work project where we are using UV ink in conjuction with some 3D printed parts (currently in PLA). The UV ink is sticking to the PLA Parts I was curious to know if there's a Filament out there for a UM2 that would cause the ink not to stick to the 3D print. I can find out more information about the ink if required. 

Thanks in Advance,

Kiran

Usually nylon, polyethylene, and polypropylene are very hard to glue. Also PET can be somewhat hard to glue. Maybe you have a chance with these? But I haven't printed with the first three, only with PLA and PET, so I don't know if and how well they print on an UM2.

Before buying filament, maybe you could test what the UV-ink does on cheap parts in these materials? E.g. PE or PP boxes for the fridge, nylon screws, PET bottles,...? On a 3d-printed part it will probably stick a bit more, due to the layer lines that give more grip.

Another option could be to spray the PLA with mould-release spray, silicone oil, or PTFE oil, if your application allows it (outside of the printer!!!)? These can be found in car-accessories shops, brico shops, or art shops.

Thanks for the ideas geert, I like what you said about applying the ink to the various materials. The ink is in a cartridge inside the printer but I could probably order a similar type that I could use for this testing. 

I was originally leaning more towards the idea of trying to coat the PLA with something that would make it more resistant to the ink, mould release or any lubricant won't work as the prints are being used in a clean room on parts which should have no contamination. I wouldn't know where to start with trying to find an appropriate coating but I think google is my friend for this one. 

Or replace an old cartridge just before it is empty, and test using the remains, then you don't waste less.

Coating with non-stick teflon usually requires hot temperatures to bake it on. Otherwise you are back to oil-based teflon sprays...

Depending on whether the 3D-prints are end-products, or intermediate, or tools like clamps, another option might be to make a mould from 3D-prints, and then pour a suitable material in it, for example silicone like used for mould-making and film-props. This is non-stick silicone that comes in various hardnesses, from skin-soft to tire-rubberlike.

Or 3D-print a PLA-original, make a mould around it, remove the PLA-original, and pour the desired material in the mould.

Or if you only need very few items, have them machined from blocks of teflon, PP, PE,... Prototyping companies like Protolabs might be able to do this.