3d Terrain Display/Printing

JaseBenn

Posted · 3d Terrain Display/Printing

Hi,

Please can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong!!

I have modeled some terrain and saved it as an STL.. when i open it in Cura to print it it says it will take 1 min and use 0.04g of filament, the model measures 100mm x 100mm x 4.6mm so it should take longer than that to print.

I'm probably doing something really stupid!

Thank you :)

Hi there. 

You might want to have a look at the preview part in cura and look at the layer view to see what it's actually going to print. This could be due to print setting or something wrong with your model. There is also x ray view that shows up errors in your model. 

Are you able to share some pictures or screenshots of your model in layer view and perhaps some info on your settings. 

Project files or stl's can also help it your able to share them.

Hi Labern,

Thank you for your reply.

I have created a 3d model using Anyrail 6, i have saved it as an STL. and opened it in Cura, i have attached the STL file for you to see the model.

I'm not sure if i may need to open the model in different software to give it dimensions?

Kind regards,

Jason

t gauge.stl

Hi, there's a couple of issues here, apart from the fact that the model is imported into cura with the wrong orientation, it's also not manifold...

Screenshot_2020-07-28_11-46-02.thumb.png.05d9c389ea28ef905040ca371ccf02c0.png

I rotated and scaled it to fit but, as you can see, the model did not slice well...

Screenshot_2020-07-28_11-49-20.thumb.png.b8c05560458fc9ed40aceaf33ba9422b.png

That means that the model is not "watertight", i.e. the edges of the triangles don't meet up exactly so if you poured water into the model, it would leak out of the gaps. Slicers generally require the model to be manifold/watertight. Sometimes you can have a bad model and it will slice OK but that's just luck.

Thank you everyone for your replies,

@nallath thank you i think that explains my problem! 

i just need to figure out how to fix it.

Kind regards,

Jason

Have you read the rest of the page @nallath linked to?