Marketplace installed materials not showing up

willcaddy

Posted (edited) · Marketplace installed materials not showing up

EDIT: Apologies, i thought that they were showing up for the one printer, they are in fact not showing up for any.... hence the edit lol.

Hello there, I am having some trouble getting some marketplace materials to show up in the drop down list. It says they are installed in the marketplace but they are not showing up at all in the material selection panel. Anyone had any similar issues and know how to fix it? 

Also I noticed some materials don't show up for certain printers anyway, is there a way of turning that off too? As both my printers are capable of doing the same materials.

I am using Cura 4.6.2 and its a fresh install on Windows 10 x64 as i had to reinstall everything recently. 

Any help is much appreciated 🙂

Thanks a lot

Will 🙂

Edited by willcaddy
Problem was worse than I first wrote....

Posted · Marketplace installed materials not showing up

Material profiles are available for specific printers, so if the profile is not for your selected printer it will also not come up in the selection list. Most profiles (when not all, I don't know) are made for Ultimaker printers only.

• Thanks 1

Oh I see! Never gave that a thought in all honesty.....Is there a way of just looking at the raw settings then? so I can kinda make my own material based on the downloaded profile? Be nice to have a quick gander and see what the recommended settings are and then tweak them for mine. 

I don't see any community made ones either, again i assume that's because no one has made any for the Wanhao or the CR-10s?

Thanks a lot for the reply 🙂 

33 minutes ago, willcaddy said:

I don't see any community made ones either, again i assume that's because no one has made any for the Wanhao or the CR-10s?

Yup!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just had the same issue, so I installed an Ultimaker Printer profile and low, the materials installed from the market place appears. 

I then had another thought that the Ultimaker uses a 2.85mm Compatible material diameter. So I changed my custom printer profile to have a 2.85mm  material diameter and yay! The materials appear against my custom printer. 

This then lead to a third thought, while the material is available to now edit against the custom printer why not change the material diameter of the market place installed filament and return the custom printer back to 1.75mm. And there lies the solution. It's just looking at the material diameter. 

I'm wondering if this should be an enhancement request for a tool to allow showing of material types of diameters which don't match your current printers compatible material diameter?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheMadBaz said:

why not change the material diameter of the market place installed filament and return the custom printer back to 1.75mm.

Because the settings for 1.75 mm and 2.85 are very different. So it might show up, but it won't give you settings that work very well with your printer.

10 hours ago, nallath said:

Because the settings for 1.75 mm and 2.85 are very different. So it might show up, but it won't give you settings that work very well with your printer.

Seeing as I only have a 1.75mm printer I can't really comment on how different the settings are for the same material. Looking at the generic ABS Material (1.75 and 2.85), density and all the print settings are the same. Density isn't going to change with diameter and that drives the cost calculations, which is something I'm interested in. The other print settings I guess should be changed (I'd expect retraction settings to be a bit different) but at least it gives you a starting point to work from. 

On 8/25/2020 at 2:26 AM, TheMadBaz said:

I just had the same issue, so I installed an Ultimaker Printer profile and low, the materials installed from the market place appears. 

I then had another thought that the Ultimaker uses a 2.85mm Compatible material diameter. So I changed my custom printer profile to have a 2.85mm  material diameter and yay! The materials appear against my custom printer. 

This then lead to a third thought, while the material is available to now edit against the custom printer why not change the material diameter of the market place installed filament and return the custom printer back to 1.75mm. And there lies the solution. It's just looking at the material diameter. 

I'm wondering if this should be an enhancement request for a tool to allow showing of material types of diameters which don't match your current printers compatible material diameter?

Hey I tried this and the material shows up for my Printer - C10V3 and Tevo Tornado. But is highlighted in Orange and the Profiles are shown as Not Supported. Any idea how to work around this?

I can't understand why the Marketplace would list 3.0 mm filament if it wasn't specified in the search. It doesn't seem logical to me not to make that distinction for the available filaments. It also seems obvious to me that most of the same filaments are available in a 1.75 variety, or the question wouldn't have been asked in the first place. And I would assume 3.0 is not that common for a cross section of the target market. Of course, I'm not selling printers or filament.

2 hours ago, Modlet said:

I can't understand why the Marketplace would list 3.0 mm filament if it wasn't specified in the search.

The materials marketplace is maintained by Ultimaker. Ultimaker only has 2.85mm printers. The "target market" as you say it is people who purchased Ultimaker printers.

What you download from the Marketplace isn't just an item for you to select in the materials dropdown, but sets of tuned profiles that work well with specific Ultimaker printers. They will not work well with all printers, and Ultimaker is not going to spend time to make profiles for 3rd party printers for all these materials.

I don't dispute that. Even so, I think that offering a profile for a material without including diameter in its basic description is confusing for anyone, particularly when that characteristic determines whether the profile is compatible for various printers. That's true particularly for a material such as Ninjatek Armadillo, which is available in both diameters. You can only streamline the process so far without leaving too many caveats, especially when you invite potential customers to participate.