No skin printed for Ender Pro

degsme

Posted (edited) · No skin printed for Ender Pro

...  I can see skin also... printing ABS is more difficult than printing PLA.

You are trying to print serveral parts at the same time, even with PLA that can give problems... Try one part at a time to see how that goes and make sure you have the right setting for ABS!

Edited by Mari

Posted · No skin printed for Ender Pro

I've printed this set of multiples before using CREALITY's version  but it only had 30% infill and when I tried upping it to 70% infill I only got skin.  and I'd read good things about Cura, so I thought Id try it.  

most of the pieces have been recycled as ABS Glue, but here is what one half of one of the cones looks like, you can see the lack of skin and the poor intralayer adhesion in the top layer

notice that there is a density increase in where the skin layer should be, but it is not solid

PArt.jpg

Without an enclosure, you will not be able to print an ABS part. You need to keep the warm air inside the printer which is important for layer bonding and warping.

That looks like 7 seriously under-extruded walls and a seriously under-extruded infill.  You said there were no outer skins...was there a gap between the brim and the parts?  If the answer is "no" then there is the answer.  The walls are there, they just under-extruded so badly that the gaps make then look like infill.

You have printed the set of parts before and Smithy mentioned warping.  Those curved tuning fork looking parts are prime candidates for warping so I will assume you have an enclosure.  I will also assume that the extruder is within the enclosure.  The high heat environment may be having a bad effect on the extruder causing missed steps without making the normal clicking sound.  If the reference voltage is off the extruder can run hot all by itself and that coupled with the heat of the enclosure the filament may not be getting pushed by the extruder.

I exported the STL model out of Cura and sliced it with the Creality slicer - yes, there were some odd things going on with the infill.  I have an Ender 3 Pro and much prefer the Cura slicer to the Creality slicer.  (Actually, it isn't even close as Cura is far superior).

I suggest you slice the file with Cura changing only the hot end and bed temps to PLA and then start a print with PLA.  At layer 3 you can abort the print as you should have an idea of what is really going on.  The walls/skins can be searched for in the gcode as ";TYPE:WALL-OUTER" and ";TYPE:WALL-INNER".  I believe you will find them in there.

• Like 1

yes the underextrusion seems like the problem

Yes I have an enclosure, but I've tried it with both enclosure or non-enclosure. 

and the example is the slicing with Cura.. 

Ill try the PLA approach

On 8/3/2020 at 6:25 PM, GregValiant said:

That looks like 7 seriously under-extruded walls and a seriously under-extruded infill.  You said there were no outer skins...was there a gap between the brim and the parts?  If the answer is "no" then there is the answer.  The walls are there, they just under-extruded so badly that the gaps make then look like infill.

You have printed the set of parts before and Smithy mentioned warping.  Those curved tuning fork looking parts are prime candidates for warping so I will assume you have an enclosure.  I will also assume that the extruder is within the enclosure.  The high heat environment may be having a bad effect on the extruder causing missed steps without making the normal clicking sound.  If the reference voltage is off the extruder can run hot all by itself and that coupled with the heat of the enclosure the filament may not be getting pushed by the extruder.

I exported the STL model out of Cura and sliced it with the Creality slicer - yes, there were some odd things going on with the infill.  I have an Ender 3 Pro and much prefer the Cura slicer to the Creality slicer.  (Actually, it isn't even close as Cura is far superior).

I suggest you slice the file with Cura changing only the hot end and bed temps to PLA and then start a print with PLA.  At layer 3 you can abort the print as you should have an idea of what is really going on.  The walls/skins can be searched for in the gcode as ";TYPE:WALL-OUTER" and ";TYPE:WALL-INNER".  I believe you will find them in there.

thanks GregValiant - I dont know what changed but somehow just switching to PLA and then back to ABS for the slicer seemed to fix it

Did you switch plastic in the printer?  Doing a hot pull may have pulled a partial blockage out and now it's running normal again.