UM3E blurry webcam / camera view

Ferryy

Posted (edited) · UM3E blurry webcam / camera view

Like the title says, the webcam view that I have on my Ultimaker 3 Extended is very blurry. I haven't seen any other cases of this on the community so hence this thread. Obviously i have tried gently cleaning the lens with a cloth and also I have unscrewed the webcam PCB and took a good look at the lens and print but did not see any contamination.

I added two example pictures so you see what I mean. In the pictures it seems almost as if the room is foggy, which it isn't. The lighting in the room is just a regular office light setting so nothing weird there.

Before escalating this to the reseller I'd want to know the experience of others and possible ways to fix this.

00172.jpg

00043.jpg

Edited by Ferryy

Posted · UM3E blurry webcam / camera view

Hello, it sounds quite obvious but just to be sure; have you tried to clean the lens?

If so and it still looks foggy / out of focus, you may want to contact your reseller. 

@SandervG Yes I already stated that in the post. There wasn't really anthing to clean except for the outer part of the lens since the lens fixture cannot be disassembled.

21 hours ago, Ferryy said:

Obviously i have tried gently cleaning the lens with a cloth and also I have unscrewed the webcam PCB and took a good look at the lens and print but did not see any contamination.

We've had this problem also.....

image.png.777c12d76393f3e891fc64edf69872e8.png

Contacted reseller and obtained this:

image.thumb.png.cd5b62baba8b8bbdc0a32fa40585da0a.png

Now the problem has been sorted:

image.thumb.png.d1d1b38c73a9ed9b66e372f3d5275c98.png

According to reseller: "The camera sometimes go myopic over time". 

Edited by Carbon
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 2

Thats what I get from buying used on ebay.  Such is life.  Thanks for the info, I will contact a reseller to see what I can do.

BTW, what kind of a connecter does it use?  USB?  Just curious.

Any hints on how to remove/replace it?  Like directions online?

Edited by servant74
    Additoinal comment/question.

13 hours ago, servant74 said:

Thats what I get from buying used on ebay.  Such is life.  Thanks for the info, I will contact a reseller to see what I can do.

BTW, what kind of a connecter does it use?  USB?  Just curious.

Any hints on how to remove/replace it?  Like directions online?

It has USB on one end and Micro USB on the other.

We found it much easier to remove the camera housing from the printer frame open the case and change the Camera Board ONLY (by un-plugging the micro USB end and replacing). A lot easier than trying to re-route the new cable. Really simple and easy to do.

image.thumb.png.2c5261ddf2665f2eceb9797c827f1d8d.png

image.thumb.png.fc708fe1098c6618055041f5bb45f5c1.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  I will give it a shot today!