Installed Materials Not showing up in pull down list

3Dvigilante

Posted · Installed Materials Not showing up in pull down list

I'm having trouble adding Carbon Fiber material to my Cura. I've chosen a few different ones and clicked install, for example, the E-Sun Carbon Fiber, The 3D Universe Nylon Carbon Fiber, and the Fiver Force Carbon fiber but none of them are available to be selected from the materials pull down. When i go to manage materials, none of them are listed, yet when i go to add more to see what's installed all 3 say installed. why are they not available to select when i want to print Carbon fiber? why don't they show up even though it says installed? 

• 9 months later...
    On 8/17/2020 at 7:20 PM, 3Dvigilante said:

I'm having trouble adding Carbon Fiber material to my Cura. I've chosen a few different ones and clicked install, for example, the E-Sun Carbon Fiber, The 3D Universe Nylon Carbon Fiber, and the Fiver Force Carbon fiber but none of them are available to be selected from the materials pull down. When i go to manage materials, none of them are listed, yet when i go to add more to see what's installed all 3 say installed. why are they not available to select when i want to print Carbon fiber? why don't they show up even though it says installed? 

Assuming this is for at UM2, + or Ext...

Go into 'Manage Printers', select your UM printer model and then select 'Machine Settings'. Then change the G-code flavour to RepRap and your materials will show as listed and be available for you to select.

• 3 months later...

I just bought an Ender 3 V2 and NonOilen, and I'm trying to configure Cura. I added and installed the filament, but it's not listed as an optional material. The comment above says that feature is only available if I buy a Ultimaker printer. This seems like a typical propietary ploy to me, but maybe I don't understand something. Can someone explain to me why?

And I am certain there is a HUUUGE customer base out there without Ultimaker printers. Can someone please also tell me how to configure things to make it work?

Thank you kindly,

Jonathan

2 hours ago, jrmleduc said:

This seems like a typical propietary ploy to me, but maybe I don't understand something. Can someone explain to me why?

This isn't a ploy what so ever. It's just that it takes a lot of effort from third party material manufacturers to actually create these profiles. We have made agreements with them (and also spent quite a bit of time & effort) to help them get those profiles there. As such, the profiles that are there are for our 2.85mm based printers.

So basicly; we just didn't make it, which is not the same as locking it. We already spend a lot of effort & resources on making sure that third party stuff works for Cura, we draw the line with actually making the profiles (so all machine definitions in Cura are also provided by means of pull requests, they are not made or maintained by Ultimaker)

OK. So I hear it's a lot of work. How is it a lot of work? On the filament I bought it shows me the specs for it - nozzle and bed temperatures...etc. I assume to add a new filament by now is just a list of filament specs that should just be provided by the manufacturer or an eager first customer. Then I assume Cura just bakes these specs into the gcode output along with all the other settings for the printer. Maybe I don't understand something fundamental here.

But anyway, what is more important to me is my 2nd question, which I still need help with. How do I add it myself so I can print stuff? lol

It is much more than just adding some parameters. Ultimaker customers expect that the profile works out of the box for their printers and this is much more than temperature. The profile has to proofed and tested with different print cores, find the correct speed settings for dimensional accuracy and so on. And when customer has a Material Station he also expects that the material is working with it when he is able to install a material profile.

You bought an Ender printer, which has no slicer software included. Luckily Ultimaker Cura is open source and open for other printers as well, so are able to just download and use the software for free. Then you say or don't believe that it is hard work to create a profile, you mean it is just configuring the temperature. So I am asking me, why you cannot just do that? With Cura you don't need profiles, you can just set the print and bed temperature and you are fine. There are a lot of Ender users here and they are all able to print with Cura, so I think you could it as well.

And if you prefer to have material profiles, you can just add them yourself to Cura. Then you are able to select your custom profile for PLA brand A, PLA brand B, PETG whatever.

• Like 1

Yeah you got it. I just went into one of the pre-existing PLA profiles and changed all the settings to fit NonOilen, and I'm doing some tests now, eventually I'm sure I'll find the right values so that that filament works with that printer. This is what I assumed the marketplace profiles were. Thanks for clearing up the confusion for me guys. And when I finally do figure it out on my side, do you guys have some kind of community cloud service where we can share these non-Ultimaker profiles with each other?

• Like 1

You are welcome!

When you have a working profile you can open a thread and attach it. A cloud service is not available for such profiles and the Marketplace is for filament vendors only and not for user created profiles.

For printer profiles you can contribute to Github if you have created a profile which doesn't exist yet or if it is not working as it should. But the Ender is included as far as I know.

Thank you! Yes there is Ender 3, but no V2 in there, and the I think only difference is the dimensions of the build plate. But I don't have enough experience with Github to add that.