Text is not slicing in cura, but works when scaling.

jechsturk

Posted (edited) · Text is not slicing in cura, but works when scaling.

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to print an .stl created in fusion 360 with text engraved.

When i am slicing the model, the text is dissapearing if i don't scale the model as preferred.

If i scale the object to 99% or 101%, the text will appear in the sliced object.

Is there anyone with a possible solution? 

I've tried it in cura 4.6 & 4.7.

99%.PNG

100%.PNG

Edited by jechsturk
removed images

Posted · Text is not slicing in cura, but works when scaling.

Offcourse, i have attached the .stl.

I was trying to slice and print multiple 'eggies' numbers 17 till 32 but all the stl files do have the same problem.

Some additional information:
    Print layer height 0.15

The text is .2 deep. So it is only printed in 1 layer at the top and the bottom.

The strange thing is that the text is sliced in the bottom, and not in the top. It is the same text and dept, but only mirrored to the top.

18#_Eggie vierkant 2mm.stl

Thanks for the file, for me it slices as expected with layer height 0.15. There is a setting called slicing tolerance that could influence the results you get so it may be worth playing with that. I always have that set to "middle".

Screenshot_2020-08-26_14-42-25.thumb.png.56c97c855e4f79bd822e4df6df1463a0.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your help @burtoogle

In my settings the slicing tollerance was already set to 'middle'.

I have changed my initial layer height to 0.25 (because i can see that yours is on 0.15 instead of 0.27 in my settings), and that fixed the problem.

In my opionion a strange solution, because the text depth (0,2mm) is still more than the thickness of the last layer (0,15mm). Hopefully this is a once in a liftime bug that will not appear to other people and their models 😉

I am running across a similar problem.  My text is a positive extrusion on the 10th layer.  My layer height is 0.2mm and the text extrusion is 0.3mm.  When I slice this for my Ender 3 the text comes out one layer thick as designed.  When I slice this with for a CR-10 S PRO the text does not appear.  Is there a default setting that might be different between the 2 printers?

cam_lid_mp04.3mf

Hi @SMWE3 when I slice your model for a CR-10 S PRO the text appears. Your file is not a project file, so I don't know what the settings you are using. 

Here is what I got:

658711552_Screenshot(55).thumb.png.f3b9aac3d64cd836a2a36906e243db2f.png 

If you want I can take a look at your project file. To save a project file go to File - Save project. 

Here is mine project file of the picture above. CCR10SPRO_cam_lid_mp04.3mf

I think there is a problem with the model.  The text appears OK as @fvrmr says, but the pins don't look right.  The left model is from your 3mf file and the right is repaired using NetFabb.  On your model you can see that there is a counterbore from the backside (it has support inside in the image).  It is deep enough to make the pin portion disconnect from the base feature.  That won't work because even if they printed (doubtful) they would fall off.  The repaired model shows the pins connected to the base feature.  The pins are essentially solid on the repaired model.  The infill occurs due to the wall count = 3.  I'm attaching the repaired file.  Take a look because I'm not sure how it's supposed to be.

A.thumb.png.de27686c89fa66aa2617087b811a741b.png

cam_lid_mp04_fixed.stl

Hi fvrmr,

Thanks, I will compare the project files.  I am using the default CR-10 S Pro profile in Cura 4.8.  It is probably related but I find that not only is the text gone the component is under sized.  It is larger by ~0.35mm if sliced for an Ender 3 but printed on the CR-10 S.  

thanks,

SMWE3

11 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I think there is a problem with the model.  The text appears OK as @fvrmr says, but the pins don't look right.  The left model is from your 3mf file and the right is repaired using NetFabb.  On your model you can see that there is a counterbore from the backside (it has support inside in the image).  It is deep enough to make the pin portion disconnect from the base feature.  That won't work because even if they printed (doubtful) they would fall off.  The repaired model shows the pins connected to the base feature.  The pins are essentially solid on the repaired model.  The infill occurs due to the wall count = 3.  I'm attaching the repaired file.  Take a look because I'm not sure how it's supposed to be.

cam_lid_mp04_fixed.stl 439.44 kB · 0 downloads

Hi Greg,

The lid prints fine but I agree it is a poor design.  The pin is small and to attach only with so few layers creates a real weak spot.  I think you are right that increasing the wall thickness to eliminate the infill in the offset dowel is a good fit.

Thanks,

SMWE3

I'm having the same issue and have tried numerous settings but am relatively new and must be missing something. The print is only 10mm x 26mm x 1.25mm. Any setting changes would be appreciated. Using TTYT3D silk PLA and Ender 3 Pro.

Miniature Award.3mf

Edited by rgdave
    added printer

Miniature is the correct word and is used correctly.  That thing is little, and that's the problem.

There are also problems with the model itself (in the Prepare screen turn on X-Ray view) but the reason it won't slice (the letters don't show up) is the physical size.

I dropped down to a .2 nozzle in Cura.  I still had to scale the model to 200% to get the lettering to show up.  The original model and a version I repaired were the same as far as that goes.  I think you need to move up to at least a "Medium Award".

Edited by GregValiant

Thanks Greg - I was afraid the reason was it was too small.

Edited by rgdave

On 2/12/2021 at 8:59 AM, GregValiant said:

cam_lid_mp04_fixed.stl 439.44 kB · 3 downloads

Ya I was having trouble with some small text (2.5mm height) infilling, but changing wall count from 3 to 2 fixed the problem for me! Thank You so much Greg I've been trying to fix this for a considerable amount of time! 🤠👍