Cura 4.7.1 under extruding

gallen99

Posted · Cura 4.7.1 under extruding

I recently updated from 4.6.1 to 4.7.1.  Now all my prints are turn into gobbs of plastic.  I looked at the gcode and it looks like the new version is only extruding about 1% of what the previous version was.  I didn't change any other settings.  Am I missing something, or should I just go back to what worked?  I'm including my profile settings (this is for thin wall PETG) and 2 gcode files to show the difference in extrusion.

Thanks for the help.

W1 under extrude.gcode W1.gcode Help.curaprofile

Same issue it's under extruding like crazy. Just getting globs of plastic. Like totally off somewhere with extrusions. This has ruined several prints now and no fix from what I can see. I'm using the ender 3 pro. 

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.7.1 under extruding

So what is the resolution? Try to find Cura 4.6 and re-install?

I, too, recently upgraded from Cura 4.6 to 4.7.1 and get the same "glop" results as @gallen99 and @Arnookie . Being absolutely new to 3D printing, I thought it was the Monoprice mini 3D printer or the Hatchbox PLA filament or the dimensions of the objects I tried to print. Never occurred to me that it could be the Cura upgrade ...

... So I tried re-printing an object that printed properly before and, sure enough,  it "glopped". I had to abort the print. 

So is reinstall of Cura 4.6 the proper resolution (assuming I can find it) ?

Edited by grNadpa
    typo

On 9/13/2020 at 10:43 AM, grNadpa said:

... So I tried re-printing an object that printed properly before and, sure enough,  it "glopped".

Did you re-slice the model and try to print the new Gcode file - or did you run the previous Gcode that worked?

Within the printer under Control / Filament make sure "E in mm³" is "Off".

Looking at W1_underextrude.gcode in line 4 it says it uses 20.868m of filament.  Dumping the file into AutoCad I come up with 505720.78mm of extrusion and a total E of 20.89mm.  So that's whats going on in the Gcode file.

With an initial layer height of .2, a layer height of .25, and a line width of .4 and doing some math (sorry grNadpa) then layer 1 is 16020.78mm extrusion and 534.5mm of filament.  The rest of the file comes to 489650.5mm extrusion and 20357.30mm filament.  Total filament on a piece of paper comes to 20.891meters of filament.  That is a difference of .0238mm of filament which equates to about .5mm of extrusion out of 505720mm total extrusion.

I would say that in the case of the W1_underextrude file that the problem is not in the Gcode.

I did notice that in line 24 of the gcode file there is M92 E94.8.  That number does represent your extruder E-steps right?

Sincerely,

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew

Muppet Labs

PS  I printer about 10 layers and they looked good.

DSCN2470resize.JPG

Edited by GregValiant
    Added photo
    • Like 2

@GregValiant Well, call me "Beaker".

No doubt your analysis is spot on, Bunsen. But I have not the literacy to follow it. However, Github tech tersely replied that they are working on a fix. And re-installing Cura 4.7.0 seems to work most of the time. Though I have not yet mastered printing a long narrow tetrahedron.

P.S. Yes, I did re-slice the model. And tried other objects as well that had printed properly before the upgrade to 4.7.1. Had to abort the print on all of them.

Edited by grNadpa
    use user name in reply

@Artjom_b Nice sleuthing. I am using a 1.75mm filament (Htchbox which gets rave reviews). But, as you can imagine, I am reluctant to "upgrade" when 4.7.0 is working.

I will check the 4.7.0 settings for 1.75 there as well as I still am having to abort some of my prints.

Thanks for your investigative work and findings.

After all that talk what I was saying is that any problem that Gallen99 was having is not in the "W1 underextrude.gcode" file so probably not in HIS installation of Cura.  I printed 40 layers of that file and it came out very well.

Figuring out why we aren't getting good prints is part of doing this stuff.  Sometimes it's software, sometimes it's firmware, sometimes it's operatorware.  Getting to the root of the failure is important or you end up chasing your tail.  You may be having software issues.  Gallen99 may be having hardware issues. I may be dealing with a bad model. The Gloppy prints look the same so where do we start to fix things?  That's why I like to chase stuff down.  I learn as I stumble along.

Edited by GregValiant

The issue still remains in 4.7.1 the strange thing is going back to 4.7 the issue still remains.  4.6.1 works fine i think some file or part of the registry is being left behind but after a clean install 4.7 works again.  I hope they fix it soon.

Edited by Arnookie

@Arnookie  I wouldn't have thought to install 4.6.1 without your post. Thank you. I had the same move-to-4.7.0 experience but assumed it was that my object was too small or that I had fouled my extruder. Installing 4.6.1 gave me a much cleaner result. Thank you.

• Like 2

I also had this problem after updating to 4.7.1. Previously sliced prints turn out fine.

To add to the confusion  I had just made changes to the hot end at the same time!

Will give 4.6.1 a try and see what happens

20200920_152629.jpg

Yeah. I am about ready to give up. I have a narrow wedge that refuses to lay down the base layer that will stick to the bed. Even when resorting to a multi-wedge object. Suspect my project will have to be crafted some other way.

Going back to 4.6 didn't help?  I usually use version 4.0.  There haven't been any crucial features I need yet.  I have 4.7.1 also.  Both seem to work fine.  No bugs.  I recommend only upgrading once per year or so or when some feature comes out that is very useful.

What worked: Cura 4.6.1 and hairspray

on a Monoprice Select Mini 3D printer. Extruder temp 200C, initial bed temp 65C.

I did check with Monoprice (my printer's manufacturer) before applying hairspray to the bed. Their response was that hairspray is okay and that printer tape is also an option. I applied the hairspray by first spraying it on a paper towel, then wiping the bed.

I'm not really sure whether I need to wipe down the bed with water after each print, but that's what I've done.

On a "simple random sample" of 2 prints (grin) -- one an 80 mm long wedge that tapers from 11 mm down to 2mm and the second a 40mm wide 10 mm high hexagonal object, replacing Cura 4.7.1 with Cura 4.6.1 took care of the filament clumping and the hairspray kept the base filament coating adhered to the bed.

On 9/17/2020 at 9:12 AM, Artjom_b said:

Yes, I got the same problems, and only now found the solution. Just change the thickness of the filament from 2.85 to 1.75 in the settings. Of course it would help only if u use 1.75 mm filament.

@Artjom_b You were right. Upgrading to 4.7.1. seems to have wiped the extruder settings from my machine profile. Oddly, it kept everything else. After changing this settings things are printing as I expect them too.

This is probably not helpful, but installing 4.7.1 and printing, just worked fine.

Before printing, I did go in and confirm that the "machine" settings didn't change.

They were fine.

I only mention this, because with older versions, including 4.3, which I was using all along, would screw up the odd time and do some weird things.  Even without changing profiles.

What I discovered is that for some odd reason, Cura would corrupt or change some settings  in the printer profile (machine).

Most often, it would change my 1.75 filament size to the larger size!  For no reason. 

I'm now in the habit of checking it just before saving a sliced object.  Just to make sure.

Hi, all. I've run across this thread in the process of troubleshooting my Cura 4.8 installation (Ubuntu 20.04 to Octoprint 1.5.1 with an Anycubic Mega S)

Nothing would fix my installation, I deleted the directory at ~/home/.local/share/cura and re-initalized the program but still had the problem.

I tried a simple installation without logging in to the marketplace but still no good. I was able to do a simple non-logged in installation in Windows 10 to compare things and have it work.

Finally, I restored from an online backup from a month ago and the Ubuntu install started working again. Yay!

I'm not sure what setting got corrupted or how it still had found it after a reset but glad it was fixable and I thought I'd offer my experience to anyone else who had this happen. Backups may help.