Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Z seam alignment for high curvature models

jigarsolanki

Posted · Z seam alignment for high curvature models

Hello!

I have been using cura for many years now and just keep running into this issue for curvey models.

Image 1 it shows where the z seam aligns.
Image 2 is the model.

Image 3 is what would be ideal for the z seam.

Is there a way to force cura to follow this path, I have been playing around with many of the settings cura has to offer but none of them are really doing what i need it to do. I have tried forcing the model it self to have a sharp square like corner, but due to the curvature of the model cura detects random curve like area's as sharp corners  which I totally understand why that would happen.  But is there a way to add a new method of z seam alignment where you can specficy the inital starting point of the seam and cura follows the closest surface/point to create something similar to Image 3? Would love to hear if anyone has a solution for this or is something possible for the future.

Thanks,
Jigar

1.png

2.png

3.png

Posted · Z seam alignment for high curvature models

I had a similar issue with the seam alignment causing tiny tiny bumps. If your looking at the same type of problem check out the solution in the post tiny tiny bumps. 

@Torgeir was a lot of help ! If this does fix your issue please give him the credit 🙂