help with gcode please.

AnnaAnimus

Posted · help with gcode please.

(cr 10 v2)
Hi, I have the BL touch auto leveling, and it works great.... except for one issue. First my bed heats up, and then my extruder(hot end?) heats up, and then my BL touch does it's thing. The issue is with my extruder/hot end heated up, the filament starts oozing out a tiny bit and kinda curls up on itself and makes a little ball, and no matter how hard I try I'm very unsuccessful at removing it, and this causes my prints to fail almost instantly. Is it possible to change my gcode to do bed heat, bl touch, then extruder heat up and printing?

My gcode is:

M201 X500.00 Y500.00 Z100.00 E5000.00 ;Setup machine max acceleration

M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z10.00 E50.00 ;Setup machine max feedrate

M204 P500.00 R1000.00 T500.00 ;Setup Print/Retract/Travel acceleration

M205 X8.00 Y8.00 Z0.40 E5.00 ;Setup Jerk

M220 S100 ;Reset Feedrate

M221 S100 ;Reset Flowrate

G28 ;Home

G29;

G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder

G1 Z2.0 F3000 ;Move Z Axis up

G1 X10.1 Y20 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to start position

G1 X10.1 Y200.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line

G1 X10.4 Y200.0 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to side a little

G1 X10.4 Y20 Z0.28 F1500.0 E30 ;Draw the second line

G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder

G29 is what does my BL touch, if I understand correctly. I'm new to 3d printing and have zero experience with coding or gcode, so I don't know at all, sorry. If there are any issues please let me know.

Posted (edited) · help with gcode please.

You are correct that G29 is your auto bed leveling.

Looking at the start code, it seems you are using a creality cr10 ?

Now regarding the G29 and ABL, G29 is an automated process of sorts, the execution of which is dictated by the Marlin firmware driving your printer. While some of the G29 parameters can be specified,  I don't think the extruder heating is one of them. 

As far as G29 and bed leveling in general goes, you are better off doing it when things are heated, otherwise you run the risk of throwing off the  bed leveling measurements, as when things are heated, they expand. Much as though this expansion is minor, you could potentially have a  different set of measurements when you compare cold to hot. 

Next thing to note, in that start code is a purge extrusion of sorts that occurs before your print starts, that is the line down the edge of your print bed. This is normal and should remove the "dribbling" that's occurring while the bed leveling is underway.

This shouldn't impact your prints negatively whatsoever, the more likely cause is you need to adjust Z offset on your printer directly, or there is a plug in you can get that adds Z offset to Cura. 

If you can clarify what printer you are using, that will help us give better information to assist you in diagnosis. 

If you are using a CR10, you can alter a  line in the end Gcode to resolve the nozzle dribble when it bed levels. 

find this line in your end Gcode:

G1 E-2 F2700 ;Retract a bit

and alter the "E" negative value to -5, like this:

G1 E-5 F2700 ;Retract a bit

This will result in the filament retracting enough at the end of a print to limit the nozzle dribble on your NEXT print. 

And then there's always Ahoeben's recommendation, gods you work fast dude and grats on breaking 1k likes lol. 

Edited by Longtoke

Your start gcode does not include any commands to heat up your extruder or your bed. Cura sees this, and tries to help you by adding a heatup sequence before your start gcode. This is handy, but not flexible.

Here's a sequence that first heats up the bed and hotend, but uses the "standby temperature" that is low enough that no oozing will happen. Then it does the leveling, before heating the hotend all the way up in time for priming.

```

M201 X500.00 Y500.00 Z100.00 E5000.00 ;Setup machine max acceleration
    M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z10.00 E50.00 ;Setup machine max feedrate
    M204 P500.00 R1000.00 T500.00 ;Setup Print/Retract/Travel acceleration
    M205 X8.00 Y8.00 Z0.40 E5.00 ;Setup Jerk
    M220 S100 ;Reset Feedrate
    M221 S100 ;Reset Flowrate
    M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;Heat up bed
    M109 S{material_standby_temperature} ;Heat up extruder to non-oozing temperature
    G28 ;Home
    G29;
    G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder
    M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Finish heating the extruder to print temperature
    G1 X10.1 Y20 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to start position
    G1 X10.1 Y200.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line
    G1 X10.4 Y200.0 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to side a little
    G1 X10.4 Y20 Z0.28 F1500.0 E30 ;Draw the second line
    G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder

```

Heating up to the standby temperature before leveling will make sure that your leveling takes into account at least some of the warping of the bed and expansion of the hotend due to heat.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AnnaAnimus said:

Yes sorry, I have a Creality Cr-10 v2. The purge line usually does resolve the issue, but sometimes the dribble curls upwards instead of oozing downwards, and then it sticks to my hot end and doesn't get purged. 

Awesome, I use a CR10S Pro V2,  and have  the additional retraction at the end  of  print as I detailed above. I'm changing my G-code as we speak to reflect Ahoeben's solution as that has merit. 

Sorry, I mixed up some heatup commands. If you copy/pasted the code before now, please do so again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Sorry, I mixed up some heatup commands. If you copy/pasted the code before now, please do so again.

Have I done something wrong? I put your gcode in, but when I went to start a print my extruder simply heated up to target temperature instead of a standby temperature. Is there a setting somewhere for standby temperature that I need to manually set first?

I have attached a photo of my gcode. Please let me know if I need to attach any more photos. Sorry for the inconvenience. Also, I used the gcode you amended, as I only woke up recently, after you edited it. Thank you!
    Edit: I figured out how to change my stand-by temperature on my extruder, so now I'm trying out my first print, ABL is currently going, no stringing :), I will keep you updated. Please let me know if there are any issues with my gcode though please.

printer.png

Edited by AnnaAnimus

@AnnaAnimus - in Cura just above all the settings type "temp" in the search box.  standby temp is not visible unless you have at least 2 extruders enabled.  The temp is set I think in your profile.  So maybe just manually put a lower temp in there.  150C for PLA might work well.

If the filament curls and hits the nozzle it indicates you could use a cleaning (cold pulls - look it up).  Maybe using a hypodermic scraping the inside of the nozzle tip.

But sometimes you get curling even when the amount of cleaning needed is pretty minor and at the same time very hard to get completely clean.

I don't worry about this so much - the initial wipe motion in your gcode should remove any balls of filament off the nozzle at the start.  If not then maybe it's not leveling very well and not making good contact with your bed.  Or maybe your bed needs cleaning (oils and dust can make it so that the PLA doesn't stick as well).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr5 said:

@AnnaAnimus - in Cura just above all the settings type "temp" in the search box.  standby temp is not visible unless you have at least 2 extruders enabled.  The temp is set I think in your profile.  So maybe just manually put a lower temp in there.  150C for PLA might work well.

If the filament curls and hits the nozzle it indicates you could use a cleaning (cold pulls - look it up).  Maybe using a hypodermic scraping the inside of the nozzle tip.

But sometimes you get curling even when the amount of cleaning needed is pretty minor and at the same time very hard to get completely clean.

I don't worry about this so much - the initial wipe motion in your gcode should remove any balls of filament off the nozzle at the start.  If not then maybe it's not leveling very well and not making good contact with your bed.  Or maybe your bed needs cleaning (oils and dust can make it so that the PLA doesn't stick as well).

Yeah I'm having a lot of issues... I think I'm going to try cleaning my bed, and my nozzle. I'll look up cold pulls, thank you.

5 hours ago, gr5 said:

One thing to note with the CR10S Pro V2 ( and possibly the entire creality range ) is the way they have designed the extrusion cooling fan and shroud, blowing only from one side of the nozzle, which results in curling even with a clean nozzle. Make sure you switch off the fan before testing to see if this is your issue. 

5 hours ago, gr5 said:

...in Cura just above all the settings type "temp" in the search box.  standby temp is not visible unless you have at least 2 extruders enabled. 

18 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Heating up to the standby temperature before leveling will make sure that your leveling takes into account at least some of the warping of the bed and expansion of the hotend due to heat.

How is this achieved on a default CR10 profile, as the number of extruders is locked at 1 ?

/sigh

sorry about the multiple posts all, the edit button is missing this morning.....

I modified Ahoeben's provided solution to get around the dual extruder requirement to set the "standby" temp. 

instead of this :

M109 S{material_standby_temperature} ;Heat up extruder to non-oozing temperature

use this :

M109 S150 ;Heat extruder to standby temp

Works brilliantly, thank you again Adhoeben 😉

• Like 1