Dissapointing ultimaker s5 quality, need help.

Aeslash

Posted · Dissapointing ultimaker s5 quality, need help.

I've had my s5 for  3 months and i haven't been able to fix these issues with help from support they keep telling me that they don't see anything wrong with the print and other stuff like its normal for the print to come out like this. does anyone have any suggestions for improving my prints?

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

Hi, I feel like this looks like a cooling issue. Are all your fans operational? Did you change anything to the temperature, like increasing it? If all your fans are operational, perhaps you could try with ~5ºC less and see how that goes?

The easiest thing to fix is that chimney which I agree is a cooling issue and solved by printing a tower or a second benchy next to the first to allow layers to cool a little longer.

Everything else can probably be improved by printing much slower - like 20mm/sec if you want extra high quality.

Personally I don't think the S5 is the ideal printer for the absolute highest quality looking PLA.  The S5 *is* however really good for more exotic materials like Nylon.  It's really good for print farms where you want to chain many printers together.  It's great in an environment like a university or factory where you have lots of different people sharing the same printers.  It's good for functional, mechanical things. And the S5 is great for printing PVA supported prints. But if you want to print small beautiful prints the um2go is slightly better and maybe consider smaller nozzles (like the AA 0.25 core) or switch to resin printers like the Form. 

Oh and in the second photo - with those layers - some stick out more and some less - that's caused by Z issues - if the Z axiss moves slightly more or less than nominal then you get slight over or underextrusion which causes those horizontal lines somewhat randomly.  That's fixed usually by cleaning the Z screw.  Sometimes you have to replace the Z screw, Z nut, Z bearings, or Z rods.  But usually it's a dirty screw - dirt gets in among the grease.