How do I add my Printer's logo to the Cura 'bed'?

msteele999

Posted · How do I add my Printer's logo to the Cura 'bed'?

I've seen folks add custom graphics for their particular printer to the Cura 'bed' but I cannot see to find instructions on how to do this - is there a Forum post, wiki or other resource that tells me where to put files that I want to appear on the 'bed' of my Cura software?

Thank you.

Mark

I don't think there is a forum post about that, but not sure.

The print bed in Cura is a kind of picture, which is located in the directory with the printer definitions. So when you look into the directory for your printer profile, there you should be able to find the picture or the configuration file where you can see the location.

This information is just our of my head, but take a look at the printer profiles, then you should find it.

Figured it out.

Two things have to happen:

- an STL measuring X x Y x 3mm (for Z) has to be created and stored in the C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.7\resources\meshes directory

- the printer definition json has to have a line added called "platform": "filename_of_stl" added in the metadata section.

Results:

Screenshot_092820_125637_PM.jpg

Trying to do a profile for my new printer I copied everything from another one and customized it but the only thing I can't figure is how to center the platform mesh... I tried both with stl and 3mf.. 

Bed is 300x300 so I make the stl 300x300 .. 

Any idea ? (I know it look ugly but I'm just trying to understand at this point... artwork will come after..

2020-10-11 14_57_31-Ultimaker Cura.png

When I made a rectangle I ended up at 1mm undersize on X and Y.  I can't remember why I had to do that (it was over a week ago) but it worked to get it centered.  I ended up with just the logo without a base.  It's hard to see.  I think I'll start a thread so I can complain about it not being able to fade through different colors.  Maybe a plug-in would work.

Stoopid.png

Posted (edited) · How do I add my Printer's logo to the Cura 'bed'?
    12 hours ago, mrdindon said:

... I can't figure is how to center the platform mesh...

You need to correct the position with platform_offset [x,z,y]. The offset starts in the center of the platform (eg. for a 300x300 build plate the start point is at x=150 y=150 and in addition you maybe need to offset the height too).

Example for a 642x320 platform with 4 mm height (in addition for my glass surface) the offset is:

"platform_offset": [-321, -4, 160],

Edited by DivingDuck
    • Like 1

If you want to do this yourself, just drop this in C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.4\resources\meshes (you really have to select the word "this" if you just download from anything it won't work properly) and overwrite the file that's already there.

I do not know the paths for other operating systems, but you should be able to find the directory if you are searching for "creality ender3.stl" in the cura installation folder

Found this topic while googling around; does anyone know how to adjust platform_offset in the user profile files?

I managed to add an STL for a platform to "%appdata%\cura\4.10\meshes" and get it to show up by adding the line "platform = my_print.stl" to "%appdata%\cura\4.10\user\my_printer.user.inst.cfg".

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to get the platform_offset setting to work in the cfg file. I've tried "platform_offset = [my, offset, here]" and several similar combinations (including no brackets, semicolons instead of commas and a few others).

I'm trying to not edit the files under "C:\Program Files", like you all got working with the json files, so that they will be backed up in my profile and transfer from computer to computer.

Anyone have any luck defining a platform offset in the user space?

Thanks!

Edited by colwellkr

In Windows there is MS 3D Builder.  I loaded my custom STL platform file and moved, scaled, and rotated it until it showed up where I wanted it to be in Cura.  That way it loads the way the canned platform does and there is no need to alter the printer definition files.

Edited by GregValiant

On 8/18/2021 at 9:03 PM, GregValiant said:

In Windows there is MS 3D Builder.  I loaded my custom STL platform file and moved, scaled, and rotated it until it showed up where I wanted it to be in Cura.  That way it loads the way the canned platform does and there is no need to alter the printer definition files.

Not sure why I never got a notification about your reply, but I found my way back to this thread when I decided I wanted to take another crack at the issue, and your solution worked beautifully!

Thanks for the tip!

image.thumb.png.f4e29f554bec1d2282f379dfa127e98d.png

On 8/19/2021 at 1:59 AM, colwellkr said:

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to get the platform_offset setting to work in the cfg file. I've tried "platform_offset = [my, offset, here]" and several similar combinations (including no brackets, semicolons instead of commas and a few others).

I'm trying to not edit the files under "C:\Program Files", like you all got working with the json files, so that they will be backed up in my profile and transfer from computer to computer.

Anyone have any luck defining a platform offset in the user space?

I found out why it doesn't work. There is a bug in the Uranium/UM/Scene/Platform.py code where it checks to see if 3 values are present and if not log an error. The problem is it reads the [x,y,z] in as a string and not a list so the length comes back as number of characters and will fail. I have proposed a solution on Github.

So, is there a way to change the default background model in Cura 5.x?

Update: The method is still the same, but the files are in C:\Program Files\UltiMaker Cura 5.x.x\share\cura\resources\meshes now.

Edited by georgmierau

I have the sonic pad with 2 cr10s and 1 pro, i'd love to be able to use the pro stl with all 3 printers.  I can't seem to find the def in the directory for the custom printers I created, I'm unable to modify them to just point them to the existing stl.

You said two things there that are kind of contradictory.

"...with 2 cr10s and 1 pro."

That indicates that you installed CR-10S which would have used the CR-10S definition file in Cura.

"...the custom printers I created."

That indicates that you installed a "Custom FFF" printer which would have used the "fdmprinter" definition in Cura.

In the first case you can alter the Metadata section of your "CR10S" definition file to match the "CR10SPro" definition file.  They are both in:

"C:\Program Files\UltiMaker Cura 5.3.0-beta.1\share\cura\resources\definitions"

In the second case...forget about it.  You really don't want to change the base "fdmprinter" definition file.

Does anyone know how to do this with a custom printer?

I was able to do this with existing printers but the one I added using custom FFF, does not make the files in the same way.

If you use a program like MS 3D Builder you can put together a "platform" as an STL or as a 3mf.  The file will go into the "Meshes" folder in your Cura configuration folder or in the Cura installation folder.  You also have to alter a line in the printer definition file.  For a "Custom" FFF that can be a challenge as you are working off the main fdmprinter.def.json file which really shouldn't be messed with.

This platform is 3mm thick and 230 x 230 which is my printable area as I've set in Cura.  The top of the platform is at Z=0.  It takes some fooling around to get it located correctly so it shows up in the correct position in Cura.  The heated bed is actually 235 x 235 and you can just make out the 2.5mm border around my platform.

The line you have to alter in the definition file is in the Metadata section and is 

"platform": "Stoopid_ender3.stl"

image.thumb.png.0129e600a305af6ff0433648f27ee082.png  

yeah I know how to make the file but my issues is htis

For a "Custom" FFF that can be a challenge as you are working off the main fdmprinter.def.json file which really shouldn't be messed with.

I played with putting my plat form link in the dmprinter.def.json file but that didn't work.

Edited by ulao

Oh I edited the one in program files, I guess I needed to edit the one in my user folder, that works. I really only use one printer so I guess this will do.

• Like 1