RFID filament detection failing

Cloud-Forge

Posted · RFID filament detection failing

Hello,

I am struggling to change filaments spool with the material station.

At least the printer is struggling to recognize which filament I am inserting.

(I am using Ultimaker filaments spool)

(printer model S5 - September 2020 batch)

Steps I take :

1. open the material bay door
  2. press + sign on the chosen feeder (A,B, etc...)
  3. press "load" button 
  4. insert the spool with the sticker on the left (filament going down)
  5. guide the filament tip into the chosen extruder.
  6. the screen show a yellow exclamation mark ==> the filament spool is not recognized...
  7. I unload pressing the up arrow button.
  8. Start again from number 2. 

I tried several times on different feeders... Without any luck.

I tried to select the filament manually, but I can't find the right one in the menu.

Here, I am looking for Ultimaker PLA Black

All I find is just PLA without the possibility to choose the color etc... 

How to change filament spools ?

What to do for the Material Station to detect the spool ?

How to select the right filament spool in the menu when everything else fail ?

Thanks

Thomas.

I can give you just a generic hint, I have no material station, but it is basically ok that you cannot select UM PLA manually. But you have to know that when you select PLA manually then you have to select Generic PLA in Cura and not the UM PLA even if you loaded a UM spool. In fact it doesn't matter the profiles are the same, but you have to know that. Not a nice solution but a workaround if it is just with one UM spool.

And regarding auto detect of the NFC tag, have you tried another spool? I am asking because I also have one UM spool (also PLA back) which is not recognized by the printer. I guess there a problem with this nfc chip on the spool or maybe the batch of the spools have some problems. All other UM spools are working fine for me.

Could be, I don't know, but just try it when you have finished your print job.

If the printer also cannot detect other spools then it must be something else.

Great, thanks for the feedback.

I guess there is faulty batch of UM PLA black, it is my only spool which could not be detected.