Bug with 4.7.x - 3dbenchy not print correctly back to 4.6.2

JavierC

Posted (edited) · Bug with 4.7.x - 3dbenchy not print correctly back to 4.6.2

Hello, I was using the latest version of Cura since the summer and my printed pieces came out with dots or bubbles and roughness that I was not able to eliminate.

My printed 3dbenchys was going very badly as never before until a Telegram group told me that this was happening with versions 4.7.x of Cura and that with 4.6 did not happen, so I installed the latest version of 4.6, 4.6.2 and effectively solved the problem without changing anything else.

I don't know if they had news of this

I would appreciate it being resolved and letting you know when it is resolved so that we can update and use the improvements of versions 4.7.x

Regards

740771659_3dbenchy4.6_2vs4.7.x.thumb.jpeg.b237dbda9163dc7317a62f1e0d90f12a.jpeg

Edited by JavierC
Modifing photo

Posted · Bug with 4.7.x - 3dbenchy not print correctly back to 4.6.2
    16 hours ago, nallath said:

Interesting read that highlights some of the complexity of the issue. 

One thing I note as a Creality user, from what I've read there, I should  have the problem too ( specifically on my ender-3 ), but I don't. The only thing I can attribute it to is I'm using the TH3D unified firmware, and running it on a 32 bit board. I also use a CR10s Pro V2, which is using the Creality stock 32 bit silent board and the default Creality supplied firmware, again not having the issue. Perhaps the  issue relates to 8-bit boards and/or the firmware config ?

It would be interesting to see if someone can compare the two/three and see if the issue arises still. I threw out my old 8-bit stock ender board so I can't help beyond that sorry :(.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Longtoke said:

Perhaps the  issue relates to 8-bit boards and/or the firmware config ?

It would be interesting to see if someone can compare the two/three and see if the issue arises still. I threw out my old 8-bit stock ender board so I can't help beyond that sorry :(.

It would. But this is also why we didn't catch it (and why fixing it isn't as simple as it might seem)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nallath said:

It would.

I can offer a stock Ender-3 to do comparative tests on by the end of November, but that may be too late to be of use with how fast you guys move. 

7 hours ago, Longtoke said:

I can offer a stock Ender-3 to do comparative tests on by the end of November, but that may be too late to be of use with how fast you guys move. 

The thing about moving fast is that there is always a next release 🙂

This problem is a tricky beast, so i expect we will need multiple incremental fixes to fully slay it.

As additional information, the 3dbenchy printed with 4.7.1 of my fist post one was printed with Artillery X1 with profile of CR10 and other with profile FFF, both with identical result.

Regards

On 10/19/2020 at 9:48 AM, nallath said:

version 4.8 beta is supposed to solve the problem but it does not, continue with the problems of the artifice in curves

12 hours ago, JavierC said:

version 4.8 beta is supposed to solve the problem but it does not, continue with the problems of the artifice in curves

If you could provide some more information, we might actually be able to debug it. Just saying "it doesn't work" isn't going to solve it at all. Please join the discussion & provide more info on https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/8321

On 10/19/2020 at 7:59 PM, Longtoke said:

Interesting read that highlights some of the complexity of the issue. 

One thing I note as a Creality user, from what I've read there, I should  have the problem too ( specifically on my ender-3 ), but I don't. The only thing I can attribute it to is I'm using the TH3D unified firmware, and running it on a 32 bit board. I also use a CR10s Pro V2, which is using the Creality stock 32 bit silent board and the default Creality supplied firmware, again not having the issue. Perhaps the  issue relates to 8-bit boards and/or the firmware config ?

I just got an Ender 5 Pro and tried the Benchy with Cura 4.7.1 and it suffers badly from bumps, particularly along the seam, and in random places on the hull, all below the decking. Everything above the decking is pretty clean. Doesn't seem quite as bad as in OPs pic though.

I have the stock 32 bit silent board, v4.2.2 with TMC2208 drivers (some 4.2.2 boards, and I think 4.2.7 may also, use HR4988 drivers). I just flashed the TH3D unified firmware and tried again and have the same results.

Where can I get Cura 4.6.2?

Before you go through the trouble of trying to set up 4.6.2 - have you tried adjusting the Mesh Fixes settings?

Maximum Resolution = 0.8

Max Travel Resolution = 0.8

Maximum Deviation = .025

That was suggested as a fix in the "Issue 8321" and it worked for me with 4.7.  Significantly better results on prints with a lot of curves.  Slowing down to 40mm/sec essentially took care of the rest of the issues I was having.  I'm running an early 8 bit silent board in my Ender 3Pro.

10 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Before you go through the trouble of trying to set up 4.6.2 - have you tried adjusting the Mesh Fixes settings?

Maximum Resolution = 0.8

Max Travel Resolution = 0.8

Maximum Deviation = .025

That was suggested as a fix in the "Issue 8321" and it worked for me with 4.7.  Significantly better results on prints with a lot of curves.  Slowing down to 40mm/sec essentially took care of the rest of the issues I was having.  I'm running an early 8 bit silent board in my Ender 3Pro.

Thanks, I've already installed 4.6.2, I didn't have many settings to change anyways. I'm just learning everything now.

But yeah, with 4.6.2, all the little bumps are gone with the exception of the layer seam. I stopped the print early b/c of that. Any idea how to get rid of that?

The interesting thing is that I used both of creality's versions, 1.2.3 and 4.2.1, and 1.2.3 had only a handful of minor bumps and no seam. It had some uneven layers lower on the hull along with a few more bumps around the cabin and a few other minor defects. 4.2.1 had a few more bumps all over it, and also some slightly uneven layers on the hull.

When I get some time, maybe I'll go back and try your values with 4.7.1, in the meantime, I'd like to get the correct settings for 4.6.2 to remove the seam and just be happy with that.

Attached are partial hulls showing 4.6.2 vs 4.7.1.

20201028_202918[1].jpg

Much better.

The Z seam can be hidden, kind of.  It looks like you had it either "front" or "back".  On the benchy the best places are at a stern corner, or the bow.  I prefer the stern.

With the bow of the boat facing to the right - Shell / Z seam alignment = User Specified then Z seam Position = Left Front.  That will put the Z seam at the right stern corner.  You might try Shell - Outer Wall Wipe Distance = 0.1 as well.