Bad NFC tags in Spools ULTM S5 Pro material Station

ICarrE12020

Posted · Bad NFC tags in Spools ULTM S5 Pro material Station

Hi All

I hope this is the right place for this.

We are having issues with Ultimaker filament spools we tend to get through about 25 spools a month, and use a material station with our S5. 

Every so often (we now have 6 of these) we get a spool that will not recognise, so there is no point adding to the material station as it will never take from it if a spool that did recognise runs out. 

Is there a way to "fix"/ replace just the tag as we are starting to build up spools of perfectly good materials that are just increased hassle to use. 

We are currently debating building a rig to allow us to wind the perfectly good filament off its bad reel and put in on a reel we know works. 

Any suggestions welcome before Maguiver shenanigans begin. 

Before anyone asks this happens with any of the problem spools in every slot of the station, and all slots recognise all spools that work. 

I believe the easiest option would be to pull a known good tag from an older spool of the same material. This would save a lot of the hassle from needing to respool anything. The tag is essentially used to help identify the material to ensure that whatever print you send over from Cura has the correct configuration. using the old NFC tag shouldn't cause any issues.

While not related to this behavior, I'd also make sure that you are running 5.8.2 or newer, as it had a significant improvement on NFC registration in general.

• Like 1

@Priddy was faster than me 🙂 , as that's exactly the suggestion I would have made.

But have in mind, that the NFC tag also shows the remaining amount of the filament on the spool. Using a tag of an empty spool might or will lead to the material being shown to be empty (this shuld be no issue IF the material change is controlled by the flow sensor).

Regards

• Like 1

Yeah, the visual indicator on the screen will probably show it as empty. But the machine won't actively try to swap it unless the end of material gets detected by the sensor.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have the same issue.  It is pretty frustrating that material station doesn't tell you that the material is loaded, but it doesn't recognize the material (just shows the Yellow Exclamation Point on the screen for the material you tried to load), unless I am missing something.

Luckily, I have a ton of old spools laying around, so I just swap out the NFC tag.