Which dual extrusion mod for UM2+?

Posted (edited) · Which dual extrusion mod for UM2+?

I have a ultimaker 2 and am currently in the process of upgrading to a mark 2. I am just waiting for a few parts to arrive. I chose the mark 2 over the DXU cause its easier to manage in my opinion and easier to source the parts. The mark 2 upgrade is relatively cheap. Are you buying a um2+ upgrade kit or buying the bondtech and the printhead? I opted to upgrade both my feeders to bondtech qrs( since my old one is absolutely terrible) and bought the um2+ upgrade kit. I also upgraded the heater cartridge and the temp sensor to um2+. I also had to buy a 330w power supply to support the two 35w heaters and the printbed. I found that the Mark 2 upgrade essentials kit is out of stock pretty much any where but I think you can just get the magnets and cables separately. Overall it was pretty expensive($1000) but I think you can get away with just buying the um2+ upgrade kit. The DXU is also pretty good solution but as I've said the parts are kinda hard to source. Another reason I chose mark 2 over DXU is because I'm pretty sure the DXU is 1.75mm filament(correct me if im wrong) and I prefer 2.85mm to 1.75mm. The DXU might end up being cheaper. If you have the um2 feeder(instead of the um2+ geared feeder), I recommend that you upgrade that to either the um2+ feeder or buy a bondtech feeder. Also avoid dual extrusion upgrades that don't use a lifting head system or the thing that that the mark 2 uses. Mark 2 also makes it easier to add future modifications.

edit: the mark 2 esentials kit is also alavible on aliexpress.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32828408726.html

Edited by kwill5800