Cura bricks computer

SeanNevins12

Posted · Cura bricks computer

I've reinstalled from scratch twice and used two separate machines.

At first I had thought when my computer would suddenly and without warning this was a power issue in my apartment.

But my television and other devices wouldn't restart clean and would need to be turned back on. So it was solely the computer.

Next I was concerned that my computer was broken or overheating. So I purposely ran separate game benchmarks at high settings.

No issues.

So it was Cura, I concluded and decided to test its cause. But that proved impossible. With Slice or Without, With Model or Without, fresh install, or fresh machine.

Nothing changed the inevitable. Anywhere from minute 1 to when I'm saving a slice I've worked on for an hour will always result in a computer brick and safe restart.

Only happens when Cura is in launched but doesn't have to be in use. Proved by leaving in background having forgot I had launched it earlier.

The Cura team will need more info.

What computer / processor / operating system, and the graphics card info if you can provide it.

Which version of Cura.

In Cura select "Help / Show Configuration Folder" and find the Cura.log file.  Post that Log file here.

More information is better.

Posted (edited) · Cura bricks computer

Sure you have installed the latest updates? Including the drivers of the graphic-card?

If it was Cura that "bricks" the computer, there should me many more complaints about it! So start with telling us more about your computer...

Edited by Mari

• 2 weeks later...

Computer |
    1060 6gb Windforce - Nvidia Latest Driver
    Ryzen 5 3600
    Windows 10
    32 gb Ram

Laptop |
    750ti Nvidia
    Intel i5 - non spec
    Windows 10
    16 gb Ram

Cura tested updates

Results: When launched, at completely random times. While in use, not in use and reset completely. There is a spike out of nowhere to cpu (non consistent) and then complete computer shut off. Safe Reboot and all.

Only Cura related. Other slicers have no issue and computers work as normal otherwise. The only guarantee is when cura has been launched and is in the background or in use.

There is an issue with Cura (and other applications!) running on some Ryzen systems. See these threads:

https://community.ultimaker.com/search/?q=ryzen

Also see this github thread, which has some suggestions but no definitive fix that works for everybody:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/5265