Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Cura Slicer

JarenElectron

Hello all some help/advice would be appreciated

Cura Version 4.8.0 in use on a L:inux Mint 20 system

I have two 3D printers connected to this PC via USB. One is a RepRap printer using a spin-off Arduino controller board. The other is an Ender 3 Pro using the 32Bit ARM silent board.

My problem:

Cura provides the option to "monitor" your 3D printers and this feature works - but for only ONE printer. If I switch between my RepRap and my Ender it does not actually switch serial ports along with the printer that is selected for monitoring.

For example:

/dev/tty/USB0 controls my Ender.

/dev/tty/USB1 controls my RepRap.

Cura will only display /dev/tty/USB0 REGARDLESS of what printer I have selected to "monitor."

A fix/help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jaren

Posted · Cura Slicer

I may need a different software based on the looks of it. Cura is a good slicer, maybe I can find some monitoring software that I can just feed Gcode and get good results. Seems like developers are not too interested in helping with USB based prints. I personally find that it helps with automation when you have a heavy print load... Oh well than you!

I can wholeheartedly recommend using OctoPrint. You can send a print directly to OctoPrint from Cura and monitor the print as if it were a local printer. You can install OctoPrint in the same computer that you use now, but if at all within your budget I would invest in a Raspberry Pi to install Cura on so your slicing computer does not have to be tied to the printer.

• Like 1