I just started using Cura and I have a Flash Forge Adventure 3 lite and that is not an option when I try to pick a printer. so I asked reddit and luckily they said open a G-Code and they gave me the thing to type in. But I don't know how to open a G-Code on Cura. Please help me.

• 2 weeks later...

A Gcode file is a text file.  If you open it in Cura you can view it but you can't edit it.  Use Windows Notepad to open it and then you can make changes and save it.

You can pick a printer that is similar to yours and then make changes to the machine settings (bed size, firmware flavor, machine name, etc).

On 12/30/2020 at 3:53 AM, Thweni123 said:

so I asked reddit and luckily they said open a G-Code and they gave me the thing to type in.

It is fairly impossible to help you without knowing what they told you to do. Can you link to the discussion?

Hello!! I have an modified Ender 3 Pro and need the G-code to "Auto home" so i can put it in the beginning before i print.

Do anyone know what the code is? Best regards Thore from Sweden

G28.  Greg has an Ender 3 Pro so it's probably just plain old "G28" with no options.

Posted (edited) · G-Code

Wow... BIG thanks for fast replay. I will try it out after work today. Think i just put G28 in the beginning of the start codes...?

Edited by 2469
    Wrong spelled words

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime” - Lao Tzu

And that's why the "Yes" is a link.

When you installed the printer in Cura the Start-Gcode and End-Gcode should have been installed with it.  Did you install the Ender from the list of "non-networked" printers?  It's a non-BLTouch start gcode but it has the Heat Up code and Purge lines in it.

Hello Greg and thanks for the help. I reda that "Thweni123" wrote, i just put the gcodes under "Preferences\Configure Cura\Printers\Machine settings". Is there other ways to manage it you mean?

No, it should go into the StartUp Gcode.  Let's do a test though to make sure.

In Manage Printers select "Add".

Click on Non-Networked Printers and scroll down to Creality3D and expand it.

Select Ender 3 Pro in the left list and on the right side of the dialog change the name to something unique "ProX" or something.

After adding you'll end up back at the StartUp Gcode.  Take a look and see if it matches your original 3Pro.  The G28, Heaters, and Purge lines should be there.

There are other settings that can be missed if you add the printer as a "CustomFFF" printer.  Settings like the build plate size and print head size that are specific to a machine.

Posted (edited) · G-Code

Allright.. I will look at it... And thank you sooo MUCH.. I am new at this, got my printer 2 weeks ago and have put a switch(https://ibb.co/GsHdC4g) on it so it turns of the power when its done. But when i start the next print it halt and get stuck. The solution was to make "Auto home" before every print. Therefore i want to auto start every print with G28.

Edited by 2469
    wrong spelled

Nice switch!

Normally printers always always do a G28 (auto home) before starting a print.  When you say "before every print" are you saying you have multiple prints in a single gcode file?  And you are manually placing these G28's before each sub-print?

Note that G28 does the Z axis as well.  If you want to only do X and Y typically you can do:

G28 X0 Y0

However that doesn't work on every flavor of Marlin (every printer type).  But usually that will home X and Y without homing the Z.

Posted (edited) · G-Code

Thanks:) No, i just print one part at a time though i haven't learn me how to make more than one. So when i leave the printer it ends at gcode place that i've got from the one who invented the "Ender_3_Pro_Auto_Off_Switch"(https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4291944). But something that i don't understand is happends when it ends. Think that the printer not end the print correctly, so when i start it up it not really knows where it is. Therefore i want to make it home to calibrate all parameters before it starts again..

Edited by 2469
    Add a link

Ahaa.. ok. I have these parameters now that i will test next time that the new code is the bold one and the others is original ones...

; Ender 3 Custom Start G-code

G28

G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder

G28 ; Home all axes

G1 Z2.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed

G1 X0.1 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to start position

G1 X0.1 Y200.0 Z0.3 F1500.0 E15 ; Draw the first line

G1 X0.4 Y200.0 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to side a little

G1 X0.4 Y20 Z0.3 F1500.0 E30 ; Draw the second line

G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder

G1 Z2.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed

G1 X5 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move over to prevent blob squish

YEEES IT WORKS... Many thanks to you:)

You can see that there are now two G28's.  You only need one.

It doesn't matter if it's automatic or manual - when you power off the printer it always loses track of where it is.  That is why the G28 must be in there to send the 3 axis to their switches to tell the printer it is at Home position.

Yes i saw it too, but i thought it was for something else because of the ending line "; Home all axes". Strange that it not make it with the original codes...hmmm

Posted (edited) · G-Code

Anything with a semi-colon (;) in front is a comment and is ignored by the printer.  That ";Home all axes" is just for someone reading the code.  The spelling error ("axes" instead of "axis") doesn't matter.

In the end gcode, the line "M84 X Y E" turns off those steppers and they lose position anyway.  If the Z gets turned off some machines will float down and the nozzle can hit the print.

Edited by GregValiant

axes is plural of axis.  I just looked it up.  Sorry to be pedantic.  🙂

On an Ender the nozzle can drift down.  On an Ultimaker the bed drifts down (away from the nozzle).

Sister Mary Josephine is going to be very disappointed in me.

Posted (edited) · G-Code

Hahaha.. Sorry for "Axes" but the code is a copy and not mine, it comes with the switchfix. Here in Sweden its called Axel, so i blame my country for it;) Many thanks for the superhelp i've got here.. Soooo greatful

Edited by 2469

No problem.  I got to quote a Chinese philosopher to.  That doesn't happen every day.