Abort Print with FW13.12

chelys

Posted · Abort Print with FW13.12

I'm using a Mac. I do a lot of abort printing because I have some troubles with bed leveling... So, I downgraded to the previous version of FW. Do you know if latest Cura works without problem with an old FW?

Yeah, any UM2 firmware will work fine with any UM2-aware version of Cura.

Ok, I figured this out, I think. There's a nasty timing bug in the firmware so that even if the command buffer gets emptied out first before the retraction is triggered (which is what the fix in 13.12 firmware does) the first command that gets put into the buffer might then be ignored.

I wrote it up as part of my bug report on this issue...

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin/issues/11

I came up with a few ways to fix it... but it's a bit of a mess; the code is rather tangled, and getting more so. Hopefully there's an elegant way to fix it, rather than another level of complexity to tangle things up even more.

Thanks for all your time and effort...i guess it's up to Daid now.....Gr Cor.

Guys, one small question for UM1 users:

As there is no abort sequence in UM1, the new firmware is working on this machine without any problems - isn't??

Many thanks illuminarti. As you are familiar with the Marlin code, could you please tell me how to setup a tool chain for compiling the firmware?

I read the instructions on github but I don't understand (find) the "arduino software IDE/toolset v23". Have you any link to this file?

Thanks.

Drayson - yes, the UM1 firmware doesn't have this problem. I haven't tested the new firmware for the UM1 specifically (it's a totally different firmware for each machine) but I imagine it will work fine - UM is basically just shipping an updated build that lots of people have been using for a long time already.

Chelys - see my blog post http://www.extrudable.me/2013/05/03/building-marlin-from-scratch/ for info on compiling Marlin.

@ Illuminarti, thank you, I appreciate your support! Will update my machine soon :-)

Illuminarti - Thank you again for the links. We are lucky to have persons like you supporting the Ultimaker community (and to spend time to write guides for noobs like me :)).

Hi Guys, I have learned about this as well today.

I wrote a notification here:

There are I think 2 obvious workarounds:

1: after abort, go to maintenance and move material.

Rotate the button clockwise until you see material being extruded.

2: if you want to abort, just turn off the Ultimaker 2, and turn it on again a couple of seconds later.

It is a known bug now, and it is estimated to be fixed around January 2nd.

Thank you!

Back from some really needed vacation.

Illuminarti, thanks for looking into this issue! You're spot on with the cause. I'm looking into fixing it right now, top priority.