Bevels in Tinkercad are not printing

Rick_Bagby

Posted · Bevels in Tinkercad are not printing

I have been 3D printing for a year now and have used Tinkercad for a lot of my projects. I am using Cura to slice projects for my Ender 3 Pro. For the most part it does very well. Cura does not seem to want to slice thing well in a STL format. It does far better as an OBJ creator. Now with that being said, I am running into a new issue that I am playing around with. Bevels on projects. Cura is not slicing them and only printing the main project. I am losing my mind trying to figure this one out. Tinkercad shows my project with a .5 bevel on my text that I am wanting, but cura is not slicing it that way. It only prints the basic text without the bevels. Any idea on what I am doing wrong?

Posted (edited) · Bevels in Tinkercad are not printing

... without seeing the "problem" makes is almost impossible to give advice... No screenshots? You could attach your Cura project-file (3MF) so we can take a look at it!

Edited by Mari
    ... added "Cura" for "project-file" ;-)

1 hour ago, Mari said:

... without seeing the "problem" makes is almost impossible to give advice... No screenshots? You could attach your project-file (3MF) so we can take a look at it!

I do not have the ability to do #MF in Tinkercad. I can export to OBJ, GLIF, STL, and SVG. Is that something I can do in Cura? Won't really be able to show the original design that way though? Suggestions?

image.thumb.png.975552b670f3b7337a38941fb87d440a.png

I am trying to 3D print the Red "S". adding a .5 bevel, expands the edges so the the White "S" will sit directly on top of it. I had to ungroup it so that the settings would appear on the right hand side showing my bevel setting.

image.thumb.png.8dcef35ff9581c8eed38967842090e72.png

This is what I want it to be when I am done.

To create a project file (extension is 3mf but don't call it that please as cura creates other types of 3mf files) do "file" "save..." from the menu.

Tinkercad is one of the good CADs if I remember right in that it is good at creating manifold objects.  Hopefully you remerged that S before saving as STL, right?  If you can't get the project file figured out (or in addition), it might be helpful to see your part in PREPARE view (and PREVIEW) as well - showing the issue.

The Red "S" will actually be Black ASA and the white "S" will be Red ASA. I am remaking a sign for our fire department and this part is getting me irritated. LOL. Like I mentioned before, Cura STL files and my printer do not work well with each other. The OBJ files are wonderful though. Yes I remerged everything. Preview, is that in Cura? I am not really familiar with it. I know how to use it to slice that is about it.

I'm saying when you are in PREVIEW and PREPARE modes (across the top) you can zoom in somewhat on a troubled spot and take a screen shot and post it. 

I've never used an obj file - I've never had problems with an STL unless it had say millions of triangles in it (but obj can have the same issue most likely).

So anyway, please post the project file.  That will have your part file inside of it so we can see that.  It will also have your placement of the objects on the bed - any rotations, scaling, merging, etc will be shown.

Also it will have your machine settings (aka printer settings) and your cura settings.  ALL preserved into one file so we can see exactly what you see when you slice.

The beveled edge may be getting lost due to the layer height setting.  At a .25 layer height it would only be 2 layers tall.

As gr5 says, post a 3mf file.  At the least post the model file (STL or OBJ).  As a retired Fire Fighter/ Fire Investigator / draftsman / forensic engineer / ski patroller / lifeguard / CNC programmer / Mechanical Engineer / Pirate, I have some interest.

Thank you Greg. That was it It was getting lost in the layer height. I can see that it was about a layer and half  tall so it was there but with the overall height of my piece only being 3mm it was there just hard to tell. Thank you again.

A question of scale then.

Are you printing 2 models or a single model with a Pause at Height to change color?