Layer is missing outer most wall only during layers with retraction

cadenjacobs

Posted · Layer is missing outer most wall only during layers with retraction

I'm having this problem with my prints. When the extruder needs to retract to jump between either supports or different areas within the print, I see that there are outer walls missing. This chess piece I printed shows the missing outside walls in the spiral, and in the base and head the missing outside walls go away. I've tried different settings to try to remove them but I can't quite get it to go away. Does anyone know what this issue could be caused by and how to fix it? I have an Ender 3 Pro with TL smoothers and the bullseye cooling duct.

3F48483D-E10C-4AA9-A818-9322C2D3F00BL0001.jpg

It looks more like a Z issue - I've seen this 100 times where the Z axis doesn't move evenly.  However you are right - it only appears on the layers with retraction.  Also are you sure they are only undeextrusions?  Some look like over extrusions.

The one thing that would explain everything is if you have "z hop when retracted" turned on.

Or maybe it's this "missing outer walls" thing that I've absolutely never heard of.  You'll have to show what you mean in PREVIEW mode - make sure "color scheme" is set to "line type" so I can see what you mean by "missing outside walls".

By the way, this is the exact reason "z hop when retracted" is disabled for 99% of printers - only delta printers or printers with a z axis that comes back to the exact same spot every time can use that feature.  I tried z hop once and got the same results you did.

4 minutes ago, gr5 said:

It looks more like a Z issue - I've seen this 100 times where the Z axis doesn't move evenly.  However you are right - it only appears on the layers with retraction.  Also are you sure they are only undeextrusions?  Some look like over extrusions.

The one thing that would explain everything is if you have "z hop when retracted" turned on.

Or maybe it's this "missing outer walls" thing that I've absolutely never heard of.  You'll have to show what you mean in PREVIEW mode - make sure "color scheme" is set to "line type" so I can see what you mean by "missing outside walls".

I checked and I did have z hop when retracted turned on. I'll try an new print and see how it goes. 

So far the print seems to be much better. Thank you so much for the help, I spent so long trying to figure it out and couldn't.

• Like 1