UM2+ Regulator on Main Board Burn't.

AndreCarvalho

Posted · UM2+ Regulator on Main Board Burn't.

Hello, 

So i have a Ultimaker 2+ since 2015 and some weeks ago i started a normal print with 3/4h and after 1h i came to the machine and the machine was tuned off. 

I tried to turn on again, no luck, no signal, no lights, nothing.... Started to dig, and the power adapter was fine, 24v on output everything fine.. 
Started to take off the main board and searching for burned components, and after a while i noticed a little "dot" on the regulator.. 

I thought "the regulator was gone", so, i ordered a bunch of them from farnell, same reference, and replace them, but after turn on the button the regulator is fried instantly. 

Anyone has passed for this? Any thought what can be? Some capacitor? 

I will leave here a video with test with a controlled power and we can see that the regulator start's to heat up wildly and burn's after a while. 

https://youtu.be/Iy4ykeSaOLo

(other question if i can't solve this, the china boards from ebay/aliexpress are reliable?, anyone with one? problems encountered? )

Thanks,
André.

PHOTO-2020-12-09-19-45-59.jpg

Hi @AndreCarvalho,

When we change this kind of switch regulator, we'll also change the fly back diode (D16) as well.

When you look at your thermal picture, there is two hot spot.. And the other is this diode.

Also check that the 5VDC out line have no direct ground (other circuits might cause the power supply to fry).

Normally it's only this two active components that's fails like this.

Ok., good luck.

Thanks

Torgeir

• 1 month later...

Hello,

After some time running (75h +-),  after a while the UM2+ restarts without reason.

Today morning i tried to heat the extruder manually in the "Advanced" menu and she restarted.. 
    Other test made is start a print and after half an hour it restarts, but while is printing the leds seems to slightly blink.

Anyone with this problem?

Posted (edited) · UM2+ Regulator on Main Board Burn't.

Hi,

You might have an issue with the power fluctuating! It might be due to your power connector feeding system, or due to some component (located at the main PCB or external component connected to this PCB) drawing to much current intermittent.  An intermittent power drop will cause the processor to restart..

Easiest -is to try another power supply..  Since this occur also cause loss of 5 VDC, -the main power for the processor.

But might also be sign of a failing component taking down the 5 V DC power converter for the second time..  There might be a sign of an overheat on another component, did you check?

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Error and more info.

Hello Torgeir,

Yes, everything seems fine, and this problem occurred to me a year ago more or less, but the printer was fine for 8 months or more, then after that it burned the D16 and the stepdown, and now it's doing the same thing as a year ago.

I'm printing now for 2h with the heatbed turned off and it seems to be fine, and for what i've checked here in the forum the Power brick may be the cause right? 

Need to burn more 80+€.. damn printers.... 😞

Br,
    André.

Hi André,

Good test, -printing without using the heat bed -in order to sort out of a such a problem..

Sure, the power supply always takes the heavy load, and it's the problem in (80-95)% of ~all kind of electronics failures, -cause they are very often under dimensioned!

As usual, good luck.

Best regard

Torgeir