Where did Fuzzy Skin on Top go?

Als3dPrinter

Posted · Where did Fuzzy Skin on Top go?

Hi! CURA is great and I've been using it a long time. Last year I printed a black set of knuckle-dusters and was able to get the fuzzy skin all over it, including the top. Now when I use Fuzzy Skin it only works on the sides. Someone in the FB forum said I'd have to go all the way back to 3.6 to get the fuzz back on top? Any chance I just missed a setting in the latest version? Any reason I can't Fuzzy the tops anymore?

IMG_5283.jpg

On 1/17/2021 at 2:22 PM, DivingDuck said:

Search Settings: Fuzzy

Edit: You're right.

Ya, kind of weird that they'd remove it considering that made the feature worse and not better. I'm no programmer though, so maybe there was a reason. I just wish it would come back!

• 4 months later...

I just ran into this.

It may not be perfect solution but you can tilt or skew the model so it does not have a horizontal surface. then slice it. 

It looks like Cura needs to see another layer above, to initiate the 'Jitter'

39 minutes ago, prafersno said:

It looks like Cura needs to see another layer above, to initiate the 'Jitter'

No, that is not it at all. Cura only "jitters" in the XY direction. Ultimaker Cura has never jittered in the Z direction.

• Like 1

By tilting the model, you have oriented the faces in such a way that jittering X and Y is enough. There is still no jittering in the Z axis of the print.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ahoeben said:

By tilting the model, you have oriented the faces in such a way that jittering X and Y is enough. There is still no jittering in the Z axis of the print.

Never mentioned the z-axis. never even implied a z movement. 

It's laughable that my very first post on here is responded to by some know-it-all who didn't even acknowledge that Cura had a Fuzzy setting and then had no contribution to the problem. 

I'm here for solutions and collaboration. 

Done with this one.

@prafersno you may not be aware but @ahoeben is one of the main contributors to Cura.  I don't know that he "knows it all" but he probably knows 99.99% of it.  I listen when he speaks, and so I learn.   Reading back through this thread, I think his responses were concise and to the point and explained why there was no "top fuzzy".

As for myself, I have been described as having a "wide skillset".  I suppose that is the same as "Jack of all Trades and Master of None", but I'm good with that.  I do appreciate a good workaround and so kudos to you for finding a workable workaround that worked.

Have a nice day.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, prafersno said:

Never mentioned the z-axis. never even implied a z movement. 

It's laughable that my very first post on here is responded to by some know-it-all who didn't even acknowledge that Cura had a Fuzzy setting and then had no contribution to the problem. 

I'm here for solutions and collaboration. 

Done with this one.

Well, he's a know it all, because he worked for ultimaker on Cura. In case that isn't enough, i can confirm that he's right. We never had a fuzzy skin on top. The arguments for that can be found in this ticket: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/1419.

I don't know who told you that you need to go back to 3.6, but that person is simply wrong.

• Like 2

I vaguely remembered Lulzbot Cura has a setting to apply "fuzzy" movements in the Z direction, but I might be wrong. That is why I said Ultimaker Cura does has no setting to jitter the z axis, and asked if the user had been using Lulzbot Cura before. Incidentally Lulzbot Cura is stuck at version 3.6.something, so "going back to 3.6" may have some merit after all. But I know less about Lulzbit Cura than I know about Ultimaker Cura.

Slightly rotating the model is a creative way to get a fuzzy pattern on top of some models, but you will have to experiment a bit to get a result that looks good. Due to how slicing works there is no way to get a uniform fuzziness at this point.

• Like 1