Surface Ironing in Cura - Only 2 Patterns?

JerichoGuitars

Posted · Surface Ironing in Cura - Only 2 Patterns?

I am printing guitar pickup bobbins on the Normal Profile in Cura using ABS,  I get this surface;

1296556151_ScreenShot2021-01-13at9_18_08AM.thumb.png.3e067da5e0ae224798f9dd532ec966fa.png

As you can see the walls look great, the zig zag infill (100% on the next one) still shows up.  

The Ironing pattern feature in Cura are Concentric or Zig Zag.. Neither are gonna be as good as that wall.

Is there a way to just iron the surface from the inside out, disregarding the walls etc, just as if it was sanded?  As you can see, the walls appear this way already..

You might try reducing the "infill overlap percentage".  You might not need any infill overlap and it seems it may be causing overextrusion bumps where the infill hits the outer wall.

Also play with "extra skin wall count".  Set that to a large number like 100.  Notice what it does to your top layer in preview mode.

Oops - yeah skin.  "skin" is cura's term for top and bottom layers.

What did you think of the other skin setting?  wall count?

Adjusting the walls had no effect since the pole piece holes end up hitting the outer walls in the middle of the print..  There must be some kind of surface sheen setting, something that can ignore an objects holes or some kind of detection that can level it out at the top

This is what happened with these settings, 0% overlap %

1239037808_ScreenShot2021-01-13at2_09_10PM.thumb.png.6f5a5f0b13408e0fe6a8903e6e63458d.png

Flatter maybe? still the same

On 1/13/2021 at 10:38 AM, gr5 said:

Also play with "extra skin wall count".  Set that to a large number like 100.  Notice what it does to your top layer in preview mode.

1) Did you try this?  Look what it does in PREVIEW mode to see what I'm talking about.

2) Also did you play with the ironing settings?  I just assumed from the start that you tried a few different ironing settings but now maybe I'm thinking you just happened to mention a feature without realizing it?

On 1/13/2021 at 11:52 AM, JerichoGuitars said:

Also, here are all my Shell settings, It looks like I don't have a top layer, what does this really mean?

What?  That should mean you have only infill on the top layer.  That doesn't sound right.  Change that from 0 to default and try "extra skin wall count" and you should see very different results in PREVIEW.   Not sure if that is what you were asking for.