Ultimaker 2 making noises

kevin-osborn

Posted · Ultimaker 2 making noises

Hi, my venerable Ultimaker 2 has been making rattly and squeaky noises for a while.
I think I tracked down the rattle to the short belt on the y axis (front to back).

I replaced all the belts and the rattle is still there. I've tried tightening and loosening the motor to no effect.

Still prints fine, but is very noisy!

there's also a groaning squeak on some movements. short video illustrating:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BtQrhaPybQwsKRqHA

Any ideas? 

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 making noises

Hi @kevin-osborn,

Just saw you video, as far as I can see/hear -this problem is from the X-stepper right/left on the Right side.

Have a look in the right corner and see if there is some black rubber dust collected up.

Might remove the cover..

This can happen if a pulley is offset, so the belt is sagging on side of the pulley(s).

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Error.

Yes, I've replaced that belt (it was making the noise before) and I've tried unscrewing the motor and pushing or lifting as I screwed back in but it doesn't seem to make a difference (unless it is too loose to work reliably, then the noise goes away.

Just check that both pulleys is located so the belt following a strait path without skewing..

One pulley might come loose somehow and moved slightly on the shaft.

If you try to move the long R/H shaft back and fort (along shaft length) there should be just a little play.

Else, you might check the pulley on the X stepper shaft that is is aligned with the upper long shaft..

If you touch the belt and you fingers become black of "rubber remains", then this is prob. the problem.

If you look closely to the belt's path, you will see if it is offset. Best if you see that the belt stay in the middle or approx., same position on both pulley.

Ah I'll take a look again  Thanks!

Hmm., I found that it is best to give it a "middle" strength when torquing the belt, I mean not all that high torque on the screws. Try to see if the pulley on the stepper need to go more toward the stepper on the shaft, or outward..