Floating model image

RogK

Posted · Floating model image

Hi, this is my first venture into 3D printing. I've uploaded 2models from Thingiverse into Fusion 360 and then exported them as .stl files.

When I open them with curer, their images float outside the box and if I try to slice, I get a 'Unable to slice' message.

Help! anyone Please.

1807436122_Screenshot2021-01-22at12_58_25.thumb.png.2f3663aa61cdf3a303c2c61c7e3e03d6.png

Right click on the build plate and pick "Select All Models".  In the toolbox on the left of the main Cura window - the top tool is the movement tool.  Select it and set the X Y and Z all to zero and then use the tab key to adjust the last change.  The model should move to the center of the Cura build plate.

Not all STL files are created equal.  Some have extraneous crap floating around that causes oddities in a slicer.  Torgier's suggestion really should have worked but with the X and Y also being off, maybe that benchy file has an issue.

Aha, think your coordinates for your printer might be wrong then.

Check that all the settings for your machine is right.

Need to know your type of printer..

Under menu "settings" select "printer" then choose "manage printers".

Thanks

Torgeir

Sure Greg did not think of that one.. 🙂

Come to think that, importing it to F360 and then to the printer might through the model offset..

Maybe you could try to just import the file direct to Cura..

Plenty of possibilities for sure.

Torgeir

Thanks GregValiant.

After Right clicking on the plate, top of the list was 'centre selected model'. I clicked on impulse and it worked. Sliced as well.

I wouldn't have thought the file was at fault because I had the same problem with another file. But maybe it was the way it was produced in Fusion 360

Thanks again

RogK

Thanks Torgier.

I didn't think I could load straight into Cura from a site like Thingiverse?

You can load an STL directly with Cura.  No intermediary is required.

What Torgeir (so indelicately) said that I missed is that Cura uses the X and Y dimensions you have in the Machine Settings to determine the build plate size.  When you open an STL in Cura, it is supposed to come in with it's own XY center of geometry at the center point of the build plate, and with the lowest surface resting on the build plate.

Some software (Fusion 360?) can sometimes alter an STL file and introduce it's own coordinate system.  That can cause Cura to put the model somewhere other than the center point.

I must have misunderstood a youtube video. Just checked the folder from Thingiverse and the files are indeed STL.

All makes sense now. (Fingers crossed)

Now to print

Thanks again to you both.