Cura support setting for inside of a cylinder model

Otsuka

Posted · Cura support setting for inside of a cylinder model

Hi everyone,

I'm still new to cura and really need a help.

I have a plant pot model. There's a bit of floating part at the top of the inside pot.

Although I ticked a support, the support will only be applied to the outer part

so the inside floating part has lots of strings which looks very messy.

Could anyone advise me on how to add support inside of my pot?

Thank you   

15 hours ago, Otsuka said:

There's a bit of floating part at the top of the inside pot.

Although I ticked a support, the support will only be applied to the outer part

so the inside floating part has lots of strings which looks very messy.

What exactly is the meaning of "inside floating part"?
    If you can share a picture or the Cura file, you will probably get more specific answers.

To start somewhere: there's a comprehensive chapter about all support settings in the Cura manual:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012612779-Support-settings

12 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

What exactly is the meaning of "inside floating part"?
    If you can share a picture or the Cura file, you will probably get more specific answers.

Hello,

I've designed a plant pot in Blender. and added a smaller ring on top of the pot as a handle which "floats" inside the pot.

Screenshot in Cura didn't show it well so attached the screenshot from Blender file.

Hope that makes sense?

When printed, around the ring gets really messy with strings, so I would like to add support inside the pot as well.

Thank you

Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 01.27.42.png

14 hours ago, Otsuka said:

I've designed a plant pot in Blender. and added a smaller ring on top of the pot as a handle which "floats" inside the pot.

Now i'm even more confused... 🙂

It looks like the ring is not connected to the pot at all....? How can it work as a handle?

If it is meant to be a separate object - simply print it separate.

If not - join the parts in blender (to a single mesh) and use "Support Placement"="Everywhere" in Cura.

The handle ring will be printed inside the pot(?), and then as the pot builds up it will enclose the ring?

That confuses me too.  If you have the "Support Placement" setting on "Everywhere" it should be supported.

A problem I see is that the overhang of the pot itself will need support and with the ring inside it will be in the way.  The ring would have to be placed in the pot just right so the top edge of the pot gets supported and that support will necessarily be printed on the ring.  I hope you can get your hands inside.  Getting the supports out will be tough.

How about printing the ring as two pieces with lap joints?  Then you could print the pot, remove the internal supports, and put the ring in, and then glue the ring together.  If the ring was a ship and the pot was a bottle, you'd do something like that.

If the ring is larger in diameter than the rim of the pot then it can sit inside the pot loose but never be able to come out of the pot.  Then you can grab the ring and have it rotate 90 degrees and turn into a handle for the pot.  when you release, the ring falls back inside.

This will need a lot of support which will be tricky to remove but first of all you have to place that ring inside the pot where it doesn't touch any walls.  then do "support everywhere" as Greg says.

Sorry for the confusion!

The ring shown in the photo sits at the top inside of the plant pot

so yes it connected to the pot.

I thought if I show the ring separately on the screenshot, it  will look clearer  (obviously not!)

The image below is how the handle printed - lots of strings so no support inside at all.

Could anyone advise what setting I need to amend in Cura?

IMG_4177.jpg

I'd have to see the rest of the model but if you flip the plant pot over and print with the "top" "down" then you might not need any support at all.

Support can make the model worse in cases like this but if you don't want to flip the part over (easy to do in cura) in this specific case you want to set "support placement" to "everywhere".  As stated 3 times now.

Always look at the part in PREVIEW mode to see if the printer will be doing what you want and to see what changing a setting has effect on the result.

• Like 1

The underside of the ring is an overhang that would want support.  I think the reason you are getting the stringing is that there is some air printing going on.

In the model file - put a 45° x {width of overhang} chamfer between the ring and the pot body and set your "Support Overhang Angle" setting to 50°.  It won't require support and it won't air print.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion.  I was wondering what the heck we were looking at.

• Like 1