Top layers finish improvement suggestion

PotatoHead

Posted · Top layers finish improvement suggestion

Hi, it's my first post here and straight to something that has been bugging me for a long time. I would love to see an option in Cura to print top layers in one piece even when there are other layers coming out of them, I hope the images explain where the problem is. We all came across those ugly lines on our prints:

How do I get a clean top layer? - Improve your 3D prints - Ultimaker  Community of 3D Printing Experts

Here's an example model:

image.thumb.png.37daeba06c39d50c7ed88884132ffd9b.png

Even with enough top layers to cover that area, Cura will still print the edges around the smaller square first, then fill in the gap resulting in poor surface finish. Ironing often leaves the same ugly lines, only a bit less visible.

image.thumb.png.2850af720d825b9c8b7a61c5c27bc968.png

image.thumb.png.0ea96c9321aee0c23c211fb0fd24ba78.png

Please, make it happen!

Posted · Top layers finish improvement suggestion

Pay attention to the "smoothing" features as well - there's a guy who makes hundreds of things per day that look like what you are printing.  He invented smoothing.  He is neotko on the forum but doesn't post much anymore.  Anything he says about smoothing (he calls it ironing I think) is informational gold.  gold.