Combing on but lots of travels in preview

kf4hqf

Posted · Combing on but lots of travels in preview

My understanding of Combing Mode was to reduce travels outside of the part, but setting it seems to have no effect on travels shown in the preview. I've tried all the combing options and the travels outside the part seem the same. See attached screen cap. Is the preview not accurate here, or have I missed a setting somewhere? The estimated render time does increase by several minutes with combine on, but I didn't expect to still see all those travels between the two legs of the part. Any help appreciated.

CuraCombingPreview.thumb.PNG.2d67791bd853c1d0e223d4b0f8de3882.PNG

Posted · Combing on but lots of travels in preview

yes exactly - combing keeps the travel within the part where possible.

But as you show in this image it's only printing two higher areas of the part when it starts doing travel moves.  Because each end of the part sticks up higher this creates two "islands" (that's what some people call them) for a while and the nozzle can't travel within the part at this "altitude" because it's above the rest of the part.