Reduce Travel Lines

AlfredTheGrey2

Posted · Reduce Travel Lines

Strange.  Your stl and gcode aren't helpful.  Instead post the project file.  Do "file" "save...".  Then post that here.

Make sure "enable retraction" is checked.

Make sure "maximum retraction count" is 10 or greater and "minimum extrusion distance window" is less than 5.

Make sure "retraction minimum travel" is less than 5mm.

Check "max comb distance with no retract".  Not sure if the latest cura has this setting only the burtoogle versions.

"Combing mode" is not on "off"?

4 hours ago, gr5 said:

Strange.  Your stl and gcode aren't helpful.  Instead post the project file.  Do "file" "save...".  Then post that here.

Make sure "maximum retraction count" is 10 or greater and "minimum extrusion distance window" is less than 5.

Check "max comb distance with no retract".  Not sure if the latest cura has this setting only the burtoogle versions.

Every option you said was already good but the problem still persist, this happen with all my prints

AC_Part1.3mf

You had "max comb distance with no retract" set to 30mm so all moves longer than 30mm were getting a retraction.  Just set that to zero.  Or something very large like 200.

Is your goal to get rid of retractions or was your goal to speed things up?  If you want to speed things up the quickest thing to do is do thicker layers.  In my opinion 0.2mm layer height looks great.  Or put a larger nozzle in there like a 0.8mm and just do 2 or 3 shells instead of 5.  And do thicker layers like 0.4mm layer height with a 0.8mm nozzle.

I sell parts where I do 0.3mm layer height with a 0.8mm nozzle and I think the parts look good enough for my customers.  None of them said "your part looks like crap with all those layer lines" (they all own 3d printers themselves).

Another great option is to do the gradual infill.  That way infill starts increasing as you get close to the top surfaces but is basically non-existant through 90% of the part.

17 hours ago, gr5 said:

I wanted to reduce the printing time by removing all the unnecessary travel moves and make them pass inside the infill lines, because when finished, the print will be inaccessible inside and some times all those travel moves create inside it little debris that you can hear while shaking it.

12 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Still over 10 hours to print.  I just kept fooling with it.  7% grid infill.

The angled area is still kind of random. Z-seam is "User Specified", "Front", "Seam Corner Preference" = None.

189783215_BoatBumper.thumb.png.85de8062d0f856416dc6dc4517cc4868.png

GV_Part1.3mf 248.01 kB · 0 downloads

Not a bad idea for the time being, but i think in some print with thin walls could lead to structural weakening in that point

I don't know the vector of the load.  For radial and longitudinal loading I would design internal spokes rather than rely on the infill.  My only criteria in the exercise was to align the travel moves.  I didn't pay any attention to the number of walls.

A few months ago I made a feature request on GitHub for "Radial" infill.  The Cura Team made a thoughtful reply but determined that because the varying density (as a function of the distance from the center) made it seriously problematic to program, coupled with the very few people who would see any benefit, declined.

"Triangle" infill with "Infill Line Directions" = "[0]" and "Infill Line Multiplier" = 5, and with the "Wall Count" = 5, makes a very robust part that would take 30 hours to print.  I'm not sure what to make of the "rattle" criteria.  I've never noticed it as a problem.  

On 2/4/2021 at 4:14 PM, gr5 said:

You had "max comb distance with no retract" set to 30mm so all moves longer than 30mm were getting a retraction.  Just set that to zero.  Or something very large like 200.

So you tried this?  It worked perfectly as desired?

5 hours ago, gr5 said:

So you tried this?  It worked perfectly as desired?

Unfortunately no, the problem still remain, i'm desperate 😭

I loaded your project and changed the "max comb distance with no retract" set to 0 and all the movements went from light blue to dark blue indicating retraction.  Are you 100% sure you tried that?  I'm very confused now.

Maybe there have been too many posts in this topic and skipped one of my posts?  The one that gives you the answer to the question you asked?

Please post a new project file if "max comb distance with not retract" isn't working for you.  Or go back to the project that you posted above because that solution works perfectly.

I swear it's frustrating when I post the exact correct answer and then a week later someone else posts the same thing and the original poster is like "dude #2!  It Worked!".  Please read all my posts above.  Sorry to make many small posts.

gr5 - please forgive my snickerin'.  It was totally unintentional I assure you.

• Like 1