Jump to content

Extruder motor runs away


Recommended Posts

Posted · Extruder motor runs away

When exporting toolpath from Cura the print head moves into position and starts; however, the extruder motor runs way too fast stripping the filament. It is like it just runs away uncontrolled.

I am exporting from Cura and bringing it into Pronterface to run the machine.

When using Slic3r and Pronterface with the same basic settings and model it prints fine.


Greg-Wades extruder

J-Head Hot End .35mm

RAMPS 1.4 with Marlin firmware

Run from external computer with Pronterface host software

This has happened with several models I have tried to slice and export from Cura. I have not yet successfully printed a model from Cura. Always the same thing .. runaway extruder.


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Extruder motor runs away

    Could it be that you're missing the correct steps per e setting in cura?


    I don't know but if you are looking for the setting Robert mentions, it is under "machine settings..."


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Extruder motor runs away

    Note, this setting was incorrectly always set to 868.66 in older versions of Cura, the new default is 0 to ignore it. But if you had an older Cura install it will possibly copy this setting over and cause this issue.

    I know people that use Cura with mendels, so it can work.


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Extruder motor runs away

    Checked. Steps is set to 0. I made sure there were no other versions installed with conflicting settings. X, Y, Z motor movements are just fine. The extruder jumps wildly slow .. really fast .. slow ..

    It ends up stripping the filament. I've used Slic3r and Skeinforge without issue. Not sure what the deal is.

    I have attached the gcode of the latest offending run. I have tried several models and get the same issue.

    My Cura settings: http://pastebin.com/knh5Jugt

    Sample of the Gcode of the latest model: http://pastebin.com/KSX2RrfzV


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Extruder motor runs away

    Have you tried comparing gcode out of, say, Slic3r, that does work, with the code out of Cura, to see what's different?

    Also, not related to your problem, but the settings could be better - the shell thickness should be an exact multiple of your nozzle width, and the top/bottom thickness should be an exact multiple of your layer height - and probably at least 5 times the layer height. Other than that, your settings look about right.


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Extruder motor runs away

    Thanks for the configuration tips. I will take them into account. I will run winmerge and see the differences and report back.


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Our picks

      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

        This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features
        Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
          • Like
        • 0 replies
      • Ultimaker Cura 5.6 stable released
        Cura now supports Method series printers!
        A year after the merger of Ultimaker and MakerBotQQ, we have unlocked the ability for users of our Method series printers to slice files using UltiMaker Cura. As of this release, users can find profiles for our Method and Method XL printers, as well as material profiles for ABS-R, ABS-CF, and RapidRinse. Meaning it’s now possible to use either Cura or the existing cloud-slicing software CloudPrint when printing with these printers or materials
        • 48 replies
    • Create New...