UM2+ soulder breaking over long use

o_jr_o

Posted · UM2+ soulder breaking over long use

Hello,

The Problem:

I recently had this problem where the UM2+ would not start because of the bed not heating up.

So i ended up unscrewing the heat bed had found this on the connection terminal (See attached photo).

The UM2+ has a uptime of 7080h where 3078h printing, with 2258m of fillament that has gone thru, over 5 years of use.

Could this be thermal fatigue of the solder?

It could be when the solder broke there was still a connection but with higher resistance creating heat that melted the wire issulation?

How to resolve?:

Would it be as simple to recrimp the cable and resolder the terminal?

Or is there a place to only purchase the terminal?

image1.jpeg

Posted · UM2+ soulder breaking over long use

Yes!   Just resolder that last pad.  I'd ohm out the resistance first (just probe the right 2 screws in the photo) and then resolder.  I think it's 150 watts?  So I think it's around 4 ohms when cold.  I also have had to resolder these after a year or so of use.

This is the "older" version of the UM2 print bed.  The newer versions fixed these issues.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies