Cura putting holes in thin walls

DevExit

Posted · Cura putting holes in thin walls

I've seen this topic posted numerous times before however none of the answers have seemed to work. I'm trying to print a model for a figure, but when slicing it puts a hole in the model that causes the print to fail.

image.thumb.png.c254638a6563b8fa9eca3ec62e27c945.png

It has a small notch in the model to attach to another piece, and when zoomed into the top right corner (the tip of the triangle)

image.thumb.png.abc000c68d8c3921ea9bf5a596729263.png

there's nothing out of the ordinary. However, when slicing even on the Super Quality profile,

image.png.b994ed3f3dbabfed0b2325f99adc56e9.png

it puts a hole straight through the model. I've attached the model, but it doesn't have the two supports I placed with a plugin, however that shouldn't be the issue.

My profile is the default Super Quality profile with "Print Thin Walls" enabled. I've tried decreasing the wall thickness, line width, and many other things. I've tried disabling coasting (although for some odd reason it was disabled by default) and none of those have worked.

My 3d Printer is the Ender 3 v2. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Nail.stl

Please post the project file.  Do "file" "save...".  This file will contain your STL and your machine settings, the profile you chose the overrides, how you place the model and lots more.

Try setting "line width" to 0.2mm just as a test to see what happens.  I'd try it right now but want to see you whole profile.

So I got your part to slice with .4mm line widths by setting "horizontal expansion" to just 0.1mm.  That will make your part .1mm thicker all around but I'm guessing that's okay?  .05 worked as well but .1mm was better.

I'm more worried about the top/tip of your part now.  That's not going to print well.

I'd print the part horizontally to get a nice tip but I have a printer that can use dissolvable support (PVA) and I assume you don't since the Ender 3 only has one extruder.

Not only is it not printing the last few mm of the tip, even the parts it *does* print are going to look like crap because there is no time for the filament to cool so you are just gong to get a big blob for the last cm or so.  I have no solutions here other than printing sideways but then you need support which will look kind of lousy on the side with the support - but I think that's your best option.

That makes sense, I was hoping I wouldn't have to print sideways but yeah.

I'll try that and report back to you on how that goes, I'm just new so I'm not particularly sure how many supports I should put and wear so the whole thing prints properly but I guess trial and error are my friends, luckily it's a small build.