cura 4.8.0 Y axis Coordinates difference in software screen and gcode

onr

Posted (edited) · cura 4.8.0 Y axis Coordinates difference in software screen and gcode

Hello guys

I have an issue with y axis.
as you can see in the picture, printer settings, origin at center(0,0)selected.

I select the object and changed its coordinate to y:-20 and create the gcode.

I checked the output of gcode, Y coordinates in gcode all + also min max also in + side.
I believe It should be minus side. why this is happening?

could someone explain the behavior?

Thank you for the effort to make such great software for free.

cura y problem_jpg.jpg

Edited by onr

Posted · cura 4.8.0 Y axis Coordinates difference in software screen and gcode

Y=-20 means 20mm left of center of your printer.  however...

For some reason, Cura thinks you have a delta printer.  But I'm sure you don't.  

Go to left side of screen in PREPARE mode.  Click on your printer, then do "manage printers" then "machine settings", Uncheck "origin at center".  That will fix it so it prints in the center of your printer instead of the front left corner.

Posted (edited) · cura 4.8.0 Y axis Coordinates difference in software screen and gcode

Thank you for your answer.

I believe there is no mistake in my printer settings. My printer center is 0,0

When origin at  center checked, expected behavior is  when you move the object y-20 on gui,  gcode output also move the object y-20.

from my understanding its a bug right?

Edited by onr

@gr5, it's the Y so 20mm below the build plate mid-point.  I'm going to ignore the suitability of "Origin at Center".

@onr, Look at the Cura origin icon.  The green arm is the Y.  The Cura origin is showing "+Y" as being UP in the view.  Now look at the "part" origin icon.  The part origin green arm is point down.  I have no idea why that is, but that is the confusion.  You moved the part Y-20 in relation to itself, but the "part" origin (not the part itself) is mirrored about the X in relation to Cura.  So in that view, the part is sitting wholly in the +Y even though you have it set to -20.

I never noticed (realized?) that (I've never used Origin at Center before).  I wonder if it's right/intended?  @gr5 - have you seen/noted this before?

PS  I've edited this post about 10 times.  My confusion is growing.

onr - I've added a comment to your Cura bug report on Github.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 2

I'm just writing here to people who confused like me.

What I understand is part has different coordinate system than build plate. Its not about the origin at center or not. Also part Y axis and bed y axis are opposite.

Part coordinate system has relative coordinates not absolute. When origin at center selected also same.  That's why i confused.

I created an issue here. If anyone who wants to know.

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/9363

@gr5 @GregValiant

btw Thank you guys!

Edited by onr