how to generate a g-code that use G2/G3 for circle

Diaz3341

Posted · how to generate a g-code that use G2/G3 for circle

Hi All,

I am new in 3D printer and g code. I have a model. I know how to use the model to generate g-code in cura. The model is cylinder. I would like to generate a g-code that use g2/g3 g code. is it possible ?

When I try to slice, CURA can generate g-code with G1 command. But I do not know how to generate g-code by g2/g3 command.

the model is like below

model_.png

Posted (edited) · how to generate a g-code that use G2/G3 for circle

See the ArcWelder plugin in the Marketplace. After installing it, you have to enable the "Arc Welder" setting in the "Special Modes" section.

A word of warning: Not all printers (or actually firmware versions) support G2/G3 commands.

Edited by ahoeben

• 1 year later...
    On 3/15/2021 at 5:25 AM, ahoeben said:

A word of warning: Not all printers (or actually firmware versions) support G2/G3 commands.

Do you know which printers/firmwares do work? Or where/how I could find that information? I'm running an S5 with the latest firmware (7.03 maybe?). Thanks!

1 minute ago, rachael7 said:

I'm running an S5

Though I have an S5 too, I have never tried using ArcWelder with it; Cura comes with properly optimised and thoroughly tested profiles for the S-series of printers, such that the optimisation that is provided by ArcWelder will not net you much benefit.

2 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Cura comes with properly optimised and thoroughly tested profiles for the S-series of printers, ...

That's the idea, anyway. In my experience, only a few of the most popular filaments are well-optimized and most of the profiles leave a lot to be desired. In any case, I'm working with other filaments and developing my own profiles, so that isn't a factor for me.

Setting the profile aside, smoother curves has a positive effect on speed, surface finish, and dimensional accuracy, and that's the case even if the profile is perfect, so it's well worth pursuing if the firmware supports G2/G3 commands.

AFAIK, the marlin fork in the S5 has supports a very old implementation of G2/G3 arcs.  You are going to have to try to see if the results are beneficial.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ahoeben said:

AFAIK, the marlin fork in the S5 has supports a very old implementation of G2/G3 arcs.  You are going to have to try to see if the results are beneficial.

Thank you very much!

Posted (edited) · how to generate a g-code that use G2/G3 for circle

Hi all,

from my experience, Arc Welder and Ultimaker printers don't play nicely together. My impression was that the firmware doesn't recognize arcs at all, but what @ahoeben says makes more sense.

FWIW you won't get too much more quality out of your general purpose print profile, for me it's a big advantage to have Arc Welder (use it for my other printers, such as the E3D Toolchanger) because I print a lot of small circular bearings, which make the Ultimakers stutter.

Another nice side effect is that Gcode becomes a lot smaller in size which makes saving and uploading faster.

Edited by neute
    • Like 2