Print does not complete top

sonnichs

Posted · Print does not complete top

I am not sure if this is a Cura problem or one with my drafting software (I am using FUSION).  When I do an actual (physical) print I see infill on the top - apparently no top layers are added. I have downloaded the STL crated by Fusion into Cura and when I Preview it the output appears to bear this out (e.g. no top layer). I am attaching  the file. I know there are shell parameters and such that control this but I thought if the STL was proper Cura would generate a complete print.

Any ideas appreciated

thanks

Fritz

CE5_cubetest v6.3mf

When I slice that 3mf I get 7 layers on top and 7 layers on the bottom.  The total layers is 83.  Using the Cura mesh checker the model is fine.

So from here I don't see a problem either with the model or with the Cura settings.

I have to be because you get up 5 hours ahead of me🙃.

Within each of the last 7 layers at the end of the Gcode file there should be a comment line ";TYPE:SKIN" that indicates the upcoming code will do a top layer.  Check the file on the SD card for that.  Some times the card can get funky and the end of a gcode file gets cut off as it gets written into a bad sector.  You can try re-formatting the SD card, copying the file back to it and printing again.  

Ha`! Mr. Natural Icon?

I see the layers in the Gcode as you say. But what am I seeing in the simulation then? Maybe I am misinterpreting the "mesh" looking appearance and this is indeed the top layer? I though there was a colour option to control the appearance but maybe I am thinking of fusion.

Thanks!

Fritz

Posted (edited) · Print does not complete top

When you get a moment put up a screen shot of what you are seeing.  Make it with the preview slider on the topmost layer.

And yes, it's Mr. Natural.  You're the first to comment.  I think because nobody else wanted to admit they were old enough to remember.

Here is a shot of the test model.  The top is layer 83 of 83 and the six below it are the same.

1 outer wall, 2 inner walls, 1 extra skin wall, then the skin at 45°.

Untitled.thumb.png.4761fd0244c59fb693e10cb225dbe59d.png

Edited by GregValiant

Heck-I grew up with Big Daddy Garlits and the Rat Fink too!

Regarding your screen shot---I played with the color and got about the same thing so I will spare you the image. I guess I am OK then---I thought the cross hatches on the top were symbolizing an Infill layer but I guess it means "Top" layer. I will get to the lab and do another print to see how it goes.

Your help was really appreciated!

Keep on Truck'n

Fritz

• Like 1