Help with settings for 1mm nozzle

skygalleries

Posted · Help with settings for 1mm nozzle

Greetings!

I'm on an Ender 3, PETG (240/70) Latest Cura. I just got a 1mm nozzle to try,. I am trying to print a vase in Spiral, and am get this (see pic)

I could use some advice on setting up the 1mm nozzle settings.

Thanks.

1mm.JPG

If you will post the STL somebody will take a look.  Guessing from the image it looks like a problem with the model.

Is that model solid through and through or is it hollow with a thin wall?

Hello!

The model is on thingiverse here

(STL attached)

The Author had a special version for 1mm nozzles.  I've since tried 2 things. Turned off Spiralize, And was told to turn on PRINT THIN WALLS under SHELL.  Still looks crappy.

I wanted to print those beautiful Spiral vases with transparent filament with the Thick layer lines. I'm surer you've seen that.

sotvl_thick_1mm.stl

So, While I was waiting, I thought I'd open the same file in PrusaSlicer (SuperSlicer). 

It sliced it okay (I really don't know PrusaSlicer at all)

But it says "Manifold: Auto Repaired (192 errors)

So, I'm guessing I chose a bad Vase model to start with.

In order to use "Spiralize", the model really needs to be a solid.  Spiralize then figures out where the outer walls should be, gets rid of the top, and generates the spiral path up the wall.  If it isn't solid, then Spiralize can't quite figure out a path that works and you get things like below (your model) where you can see the inside path is over air and would just make a mess.

Untitled.thumb.png.16a8173b965153973c18ecf86bccabf3.png

Below is also a vase model from Thingiverse.  You can see that it is solid throughout.  It slices as we would expect but because the outer "gear" features are so close together a 1.0 nozzle wouldn't do well with this one as a lot of definition would be lost.

Untitled1.thumb.png.331e068e3bb4c39c84616a8b57210659.png

You will come to find that the stock hot end on the Enders (and CR-10's) aren't very capable.  Consider that a 0.4 nozzle at 0.2 layer height results in a .08mm² area to fill while a 1.0 nozzle at .5 layer height is .5mm² to fill.  If you print with a .4 nozzle at 60mm/sec then the flow through the nozzle is 4.8mm³/sec but the 1.0 requires 6 times the amount of plastic.   To get the same flow through the nozzle (that we know it can maintain) with a 1.0 nozzle you would have to slow the Print Speed to about 10mm/sec.  You can print hotter to make up for the excessive cooling that the hot end gets at high flow rates (the plastic is removing heat), but at some point it just doesn't work right.  It's one of the reasons people move to Micro-Swiss or Volcano hot ends on their Creality printers.  They allow for big nozzles and higher speeds.

• Like 1

Larger nozzles also have less friction for the filament to pass through.  Typical nozzle pressures are very high.  The difficult part for the extruder is not the speed but the force.  So 5mm^3/sec might be the limit on a 0.4mm nozzle for your feeder but with a 0.8mm nozzle it has 4X the area and so it can print 4X faster with the same feeder force.  In other words with a 1mm nozzle, 20mm^3/sec is doable with a typical feeder.

So you do not need to slow down the print speed with larger nozzles.  Make the line width match the nozzle and if the nozzle is twice as wide I like to make the layer height also twice as high.

• Like 1

Yes it was.  But even after the repair it wasn't suitable for Vase mode.  Now you know what to look for in the model.

I've been noticing that lately, both here and on Reddit, there have been some comments like "I opened it in PrusaSlicer and it worked.".  What I think has happened is that Cura has gotten fussier about errors in the models and PrusaSlicer (at least some versions) skips over some model errors that Cura catches.  I think as PrusaSlicer evolves that it will also "notice" more errors.  

Maybe but I think it's backwards - I think prusa slicer automatically fixes many model errors.  I really don't know which is true.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Help with settings for 1mm nozzle

I brought one of the bad files we've gotten lately into Prusaslicer.  Prusaslicer sliced it without complaining.  It does have a "Repair STL" command in the File menu.  When selected it brings up an "Open File" dialog and you can pick and repair the file without bringing onto the build plate.  It also informs you if the repair has succeeded or not.  It would be nice to get an acknowledgement from Cura as to whether a repair was successful or not.  I tend to use NetFabb (thanks for that one by the way) and I'm trying to figure out MS 3D Builder.

Edited by GregValiant

Do you have the cura mesh tools plugin installed?  That can fix a few mesh errors.

Yea, it's installed but I'm not fond of it.  When I select "fix model normals" the menu goes away and there's no way to tell if anything actually is being done to the model unless you check the mesh again.  

I'm stealing the thread here but one poster had a model that was watertight but was composed of some sub-meshes.  Cura ignored it but 3D Builder was able to fix that.  They are all tools in the toolbox.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Help with settings for 1mm nozzle

In the link you provided, there are a few different files. It looks like only one of them is compatible with vase mode. Make sure you're slicing the right file.

Edited by krink
    I didn't leave complete information.