Clicking sound from the Y axis motor area

Posted · Clicking sound from the Y axis motor area

I had my S5 + Air Manager delivered yesterday. It was not handled with care. The Ultimaker team that designed the packaging needs to come to the USA. I assume in Europe the delivery folks deliver the package like a new born baby. Not so here in the USA. See "Ace Ventura Pet Detective" package delivery scene for reference.

Anyways...

The Y axis motor (the motor to the left when viewed from the front) is making a metallic clicking sound at the same place in every revolution, forwards and backwards.

If this metallic click was produced by play in the bearings it would occur every time the direction was changed, this is produced at the same place every rotation. The sound and exact place it is made changes slightly depending if it is going forward or backwards but it is consistent. If it travels 10 complete turns forwards I hear 10 clicks. When it moves back ten turns I will hear ten clicks back.

I can't see far enough inside while printing to see the problem. The way I know the clicks are coming in the same position is I watch the screws on the pulleys.

I guess I will have to take the air manager off and move the axis manually until I can see what is clicking. The problem with doing that is it means the printer has stopped printing. If the printer stops printing it is losing money 😞

Maybe somebody here knows this one off the top of their heads?

For your viewing pleasure I have provided a video complete with audio of the clicks; https://photos.app.goo.gl/YwMyBCbxkb9KcnGY6

Thanks,

--jb

That's pretty quiet.  I was expecting something different that I've heard before.  Whatever issue you have it's not the one I'm familiar with.

I would ignore it.  

You can try moving things when it's not printing.  With no power to the steppers (90% of the time if it isn't moving at that moment - if it's not in the middle of a print job) you can push the head around.  Maybe you can hear the click better that way (fans will be off) and learn more.

I have to tell you I've heard all kinds of nasty noises that can be ignored for years.  Usually related to bearings (in the wall) or belts (dying or slipping up on edge of pulley).

3 years from now your printer will probably still be printing like new but making all kinds of noises and you will miss the days it only made this quiet click.  🙂 

Posted (edited) · Clicking sound from the Y axis motor area
    11 hours ago, gr5 said:

That's pretty quiet...

3 years from now your printer will probably still be printing like new but making all kinds of noises and you will miss the days it only made this quiet click.  🙂 

Ah! Ok, makes sense. I had to ask. I had to to reassemble the printer's guts before I could do my first print. The constant dropping during shipping popped off every single long belt and the head was flopping around inside.

I was worried I messed something up or something was broken.

Thanks!

Edited by subnoizellc
    Typos...

Oh.  I hope your printer is still "square".  A common problem in bad shipping is that the sides of the printer are no longer perpendicular and the gantry is now "banana" and impossible to level as two diagonal corners of the gantry are high and the other two are low.  Check to make sure everything visually looks square.  And push the glass up until it just touches the nozzle but with a gap and with the other hand push the head around to see if the glass and the nozzle are parallel.

Ugh, still in trials with the printer. I just solved the adhesion to glass problem (and everything is turning out pretty nice. Using the default profile at .2mm there is a larger variance than my prior printer but I don't think it is a squareness issue.

Thanks for the help. I will keep and eye on it.