X/Y axis not calibrated?

Posted (edited) · X/Y axis not calibrated?

I have printed this pentagon frame on my Ender-3 Pro.

There is distortion that does not seem to be simple X or Y miscalibration.

In the picture, you can see that the outer parts of the frame have varying widths, same goes for the inner diagonals.

The vertical direction is the X axis.

Problems I have already found solutions for:

The "wobbles" in the rightmost part of the frame, I have learned, are due to flat spots on the Y wheels.

The 2 holes in the drawing not appearing in the print are due to being surrounded by an unbroken surface in the model. I forgot about that during the modeling phase. My first iteration (not shown) included completely unbroken top and bottom surfaces, which would have resulted in a solid pentagon shape.

pent.jpeg

pentapattern.png

CE3PRO_pentagon2.gcode

Edited by Splatman

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · X/Y axis not calibrated?

Found out what was probably the problem: The wheels were too tight. I adjusted their tightness to deal with the 'wiggles', and that seems to have solved the other problem. Now off to deal with a new problem: Each layer shifted by a bit less than their height, causing the entire print to be skewed front-to-back.

Posted · X/Y axis not calibrated?

The skewing turned out to be a loose screw on said wheel, that got increasingly loose, allowing the hotend to sag, producing the skewed effect. I tightened said screw, and ran a successful print.

There's the skewed result:

skew.thumb.jpeg.41e2eeb4cac51282b1c868c90dacf757.jpeg

The white layer on the bottom is leftover sample PLA that came with my Ender-3. It's the same PLA I used for the (unsuccessful) print in the first post.

Here's the successful one:

ppattern.thumb.jpeg.eb92e875620104157cd0031a7d435666.jpeg

I got creative with the 2 colors of PLA that I have. Lime Green and Purple from Matterhackers.