Lines in Cura 4.8 on High Sierra

kpanattoni

Posted · Lines in Cura 4.8 on High Sierra

Hello everyone,

New Cura user and this is also my first-time posting. I was curious about the behaviour if Cura on my Mac running High Sierra. I attempted to search the forums and only found one or two posts on this forum related to Cura running slow on High Sierra, which is not what I am experiencing.

Cura (latest version as of this post) runs quite fast -and very smoothly- but my slicing preview has become distorted. The first few times I ran Cura, there were no issues and everything was clear and concise (and actually pretty if I may say so), and I even had access to the Extruders under the Line Types menu. Looked just like the previews on the website. After using it several times more however, things have become decidedly worse.

When I launch Cura now, the display is quite different. There are a bunch of stringy blue lines that run between one part of the model to another, and I am no longer able to see the extruder options in the Line Type Colour Scheme menu. It now says it is in Compatibility Mode. I originally thought that the stringy blue lines meant the model was having slicing issues and running filament between open spaces in the model, so I ran a really low quality print to find out. Everything printed wonderfully! I tried a few other models and experienced the same thing: great prints, wretched display, and extruders were still missing from the Colour Schemes menu. (I made sure that my printer was set as the default extruder, and even deleted and added my printer again a few times.) With a little effort -but not too much- I can still make out what is happening at each step with most models, but those lines still persist. After a little googling, I decided to downgrade to the version of Cura that was supposed to be made for High Sierra, and I still had the same issues. Given that the issues were still there, I decided I may as well go back to Cura 4.8.0.

What might be happening here? Please see the screenshots below for an example of what I have been experiencing. There are multiple screenshots so you can see the different menus I have opened. I could really use some advice. 😁

Thanks!

-Kim

Machine Config:

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3
16GB Memory
ATI Radeon HD 4670

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 5.38.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 5.38.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 5.38.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 5.39.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 5.39.39 PM.png

That looks pretty normal.  Those blue lines are non-extruding moves.  They are also divided into dark and light blue.  The darker blue are non-retraction, non-extruding moves.  The lighter blue have retractions.

Just above those colored squares where you can enable and disable the colors, it says "color scheme: line type".  Click there to show different filaments in different colors.  Although I much prefer this way of viewing the print.

• Like 1

Here is an example of a high resolution model in Cura. Having watched a number of Cura how-to videos, I came across one that used this mode, and which came in without issue and displayed correctly. This is the high resolution Thanos model from Thingiverse on my machine, just loaded and no changes to anything like rotation position or scale or slicing.

As to the blue lines being all over the place in Cura, I had a friend load this layout and the models were clear of everything. I asked them to make sure our settings were the same, and we went through them to make sure. Perfectly clear of any lines in between each model.

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 1.31.02 PM.png

So in the image you posted immediately above you have "travels" unchecked.  Maybe friend probably had the same thing unchecked and that's why he had no blue lines.  There's no way for the nozzle to get from one part to another without passing through the space between.

When you have two people using 2 different computers and slicing the same object there are MANY things that can be different.  Such as the printer (machine) settings.  It's best to have the person with the "problem" save their project in cura: "file" "save project as...".  Then send it to the other person.  That way you don't have to worry if some setting is slightly different or they are using say an Ender 3 and the other user is using an Ender 3b (for example) for their machine.

• Like 1

Your other 2 photos above that - I have no idea what you are trying to show.  I don't understand if you are happy now and think everything is resolved or if you still think there is some issue and if so, what is that issue?  If you still think there is a problem then maybe you should start over with screen shots and maybe an arrow or circle around what you think is a problem.

You ask "what may be happening here", and all I see is a normal model being sliced just fine.  There may be an issue but it's not obvious to me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gr5 said:

Your other 2 photos above that - I have no idea what you are trying to show.  I don't understand if you are happy now and think everything is resolved or if you still think there is some issue and if so, what is that issue?  If you still think there is a problem then maybe you should start over with screen shots and maybe an arrow or circle around what you think is a problem.

You ask "what may be happening here", and all I see is a normal model being sliced just fine.  There may be an issue but it's not obvious to me.

Hi there,

So in my first reply, I had not seen what you all were describing, but I fixed it as I wanted to show in the last photo. 🙂 Now the other two photos, turning off lines did nothing.

I loaded the High Resolution Thanos (Infinity War Version) from Thingieverse and the display went haywire, no matter what I had selected under colour scheme menu, and even when I had nothing selected in that drop down. No matter what I do, the entire display goes haywire. I was hoping it was the same issue I had experienced with my colour scheme blue lines, but it would seem that it is not? I suppose since the blue lines colour scheme thing fixed problem 1, the Thanos is problem 2.

If you would like, I can start a new thread with it so that it might not be too confusing. I was just hoping that the two were related. I do have a different thing to post on regarding the printer not showing up in the monitor tab when it is plugged in and turned on, but I was going to post about that separately. 

Let me know what you would like me to do. 🙂

Thanks,

-Kim