Print head broke itself and says now print core 2 is exceeding its height limit, and not able to remove it.

Posted · Print head broke itself and says now print core 2 is exceeding its height limit, and not able to remove it.

Hi All,

We have a S5 pro bundle and when printing, print core 2 got full and got an Error 65.

Apparently the material got stuck in the print head between the print core inlet tube and the rest of the housing.

And I saw a small white plastic part laying on the print bed. It had broke itself off while printing I think.

Because I have never touched that part before.

I was able to pry out the material from between the print head housing and the print core tube.

Then removed the print core as well and cleaned it out again.

After placing it back in, it never worked, because the printer got an error saying it's exceeding it's limit.

So I tried to turn the height switch, but it's still not working.

Now the print core is stuck and the printer doesn't work like this.

What should I do... Is this a warranty thing, or do I need to replace the parts myself?

Kind regards,

Vincent

DSC_1603.JPG

DSC_1601.JPG

Posted · Print head broke itself and says now print core 2 is exceeding its height limit, and not able to remove it.

This is called the lift switch.  It is broken - not repairable.

Contact your reseller.  Give them your serial number and tell them "the lift switch broke".  You have many options:

1) You can send the whole printer to them - this is likely expensive and printers are easily damaged in transportation but this is a good option if you have lots of money.

2) You can have them send you the necessary parts and you can fix it yourself.  If it's under warranty this is free.  If not this is still very little money (compared to the cost of filament).  There are very well written instructions with lots of pictures showing you how to take apart the print head and reassemble it.  It's really not hard - it's not like an iphone that is glued together - everything in these printers comes apart easily.  Easy to fix.

(option 2 is two options as one involves warranty and one does not)

3) You can turn this into a single extruder printer.  I don't recommend this option but there *is* a way to disable the active level.  It involves hacking the firmware but I know people who have done it and I have the instructions somewhere.  Not recommended.  Plus you will have to redo the hack each time firmware is updated.

Option 2a or 2b is best.

By the way, all resellers have the ability to sell you any part in any Ultimaker printer.  But because there are thousands of parts (many thousands maybe?) and because it's complicated (sometimes a part is only compatible with printers of a certain serial number range) and prices change, you will not find them on their webstore.  You have to email or call them.