bowden issue

Posted · bowden issue

Hello good day

I have been printing these days but today when I arrived while I was printing a piece the transparent tube of the bowden where the filament is loaded has come out

I put it back on, and when printing started after 15min it came out again

I have tried a third time and have been lucky, I have not had more problems

Is there a way to ensure this with any additional pieces? Is it a common fault?

Thanks

Posted · bowden issue

Hi,

I had the same problem. I created a bowden support, so that the bowden is not moving at the outlet of the feeder. I own an S3, so I do not know if the support will work with your model. It is a bit tight at the right side with the lever, but it does the job for me. I created it with FreeCAD, so feel free to adjust to your needs.

To apply you have to remove the bowden and insert it into the tube part on top. Then reattach the bowden and finally slide the part over the feeder.

The movement of the bowden, especially when doing tiny zigzag lines is slowly loosening the bowden and then the pressure from the feeder and material is pushing it out of its hold. At least this is my diagnosis.

UMS3.zip

• Like 1

Posted · bowden issue

It sounds like you have a faulty collet in your printer. When the blades are too short, they cannot grab correctly into the Bowden and then it happens that the Bowden gets loose. I had the some problem on one of my printers, happened several times and after I changes the little piece, it is ok again.

Contact your reseller to get a new one. You can replace it easily, no need to open the feeder, just pull it out and put the new one in.

Posted (edited) · bowden issue

I already got a new set through warranty - collet and bowden. But after some time the problem came up again. On one hand I would doubt, that I would get a second warranty replacement and secondly it would not help after the end of warranty. So I did a deep dive problem identification and found, that it always happens when printing a long time with many short movements of the print head. The solution is, aside from replacing the colletm, to longen the short tube, where the collet is placed in, on top of the feeder. So the movement is no longer this hard. By the way, it only shows up on the left feeder (looking from front), the right one never showed this behaviour.

Any rewards for improvement proposals?

Edited by ndimensional
    Typo

Posted · bowden issue
    On 15/5/2021 at 10:07, ndimensional said:

Hola,

Yo tuve el mismo problema. Creé un soporte bowden, para que el bowden no se mueva en la salida del alimentador. Tengo un S3, así que no sé si el soporte funcionará con su modelo. Está un poco apretado en el lado derecho con la palanca, pero hace el trabajo por mí. Lo creé con FreeCAD, así que siéntete libre de ajustarte a tus necesidades.

Para aplicar, debes quitar el bowden e insertarlo en la parte del tubo en la parte superior. Luego vuelva a colocar el bowden y finalmente deslice la pieza sobre el alimentador.

El movimiento del bowden, especialmente cuando se hacen pequeñas líneas en zigzag, está aflojando lentamente el bowden y luego la presión del alimentador y el material lo empuja fuera de su agarre. Al menos este es mi diagnóstico.

UMS3.zip 64.77 kB · 0 descargas

Thanks for sharing, do you have any photos mounted to give me an idea of how it looks?

Posted · bowden issue

Yes, for sure .... As youcan see, it bulges a little on the right side (in the photo). Maybe it would need a little more space at that side, 1 mm or so would do it I think.... Since it was the 5th iteration and does the job I let it as it is...._1020012.thumb.JPG.e934b3f4d34235bacba28c983edc13a7.JPG

• Like 1

Posted · bowden issue
    1 hour ago, ndimensional said:

Sí, seguro ... Como ves, se abulta un poco en el lado derecho (en la foto). Tal vez necesitaría un poco más de espacio en ese lado, 1 mm más o menos lo haría, creo ... Como era la quinta iteración y hace el trabajo, lo dejé como está ..._1020012.thumb.JPG.e934b3f4d34235bacba28c983edc13a7.JPG

Thanks, I'm going to modify it a bit and upload a photo of how it looks in my printer and the file in case you want it or someone else needs it

Thanks!

Posted · bowden issue
    12 hours ago, ndimensional said:

Yes, for sure .... As youcan see, it bulges a little on the right side (in the photo). Maybe it would need a little more space at that side, 1 mm or so would do it I think.... Since it was the 5th iteration and does the job I let it as it is...._1020012.thumb.JPG.e934b3f4d34235bacba28c983edc13a7.JPG

I have already printed the file that attached

I have modified the piece giving 1mm more tolerance, I have also reinforced it and I have rounded all the edges.

I have printed it with ASA 100%, I recommend this infill

I have not tried it yet to see how much it improves, but it looks very good, now it fits perfectly!

I have also attached the cure file with the supports already generated and since I have printed it in case someone else needs it, it fits perfectly with my UM2 + Connect

Thank you!

65d57156-0f18-4dfa-ab3d-654267520e1c.jpg

bowden support UM2CONNECT-S3.zip

Posted · bowden issue

Great ! Please let me know if this fixes the issue also for your UM

Posted · bowden issue

I've only been using the piece for a few days but I haven't had any more problems at the moment

Posted · bowden issue

Congratulations!  For me it works since months...

Well, so maybe this is a real improvement proposal for Ultimaker.... Feel free to put it on Youmagine- at the end you have finished it.

• Like 1

Is there file like this for the ultimaker 2 

Edited by seraphius78

Not sure,  maybe the feeder for the UM2+ and the S3 are the same - but I am not sure....

As it looks, the printer of catalancabreado is an UM2+ - maybe you ask him directly....

Edited by ndimensional
    added UM2 catalancabreado

Posted · bowden issue

They are different, but in my opinion it is not really needed.

The reason why the Bowden tube comes out of the feeder is a) a faulty collet where the blades are not good anymore or a blade is missing at all and b) the Bowden tube itself, because when the tube slipped out of the collet the blades cannot grip the tube safely anymore. Best is to replace the whole tube and the collect together to be on the safe side.

I got a replacement (collet + bowden)  - due to warranty - but it showed after a short time the same behaviour. Ultimaker is invited to send me a second spare part set, but I doubt, that it will fix the issue. Since the bowden and collet was replaced, without a lasting effect, I would suppose some tolerance in the feeder itself may be the problem.

So again, it seems not to be an collet/bowden issue ... I think it arises when someone is printing with the nozzle doing small, fast movements - ike zigzag. And that at the end is loosening the bowden from the collet. By the way, it shows only, as I mentioned above, on the first feeder on my UM3 - the second one is not affected.

Edited by ndimensional
    typo

Posted · bowden issue

In my case, this piece continues to work perfectly and I have not had any more problems since then.

As mentioned above, it happens especially in small pieces or with many shapes / fills where it is zig-zagging very quickly.

From a technical point of view, I think the interlocking system is very good since it is the same as that used in hydraulics and pneumatics, the problem is that the Ultimaker bowden has no pressure, which is why the '' knives '' I think that do not work as they should and the small movement ends up releasing the tube (it is my theory)