Cura Initial Layer Extruder Displays in Preview & Visible in Prints - see photos

Posted · Cura Initial Layer Extruder Displays in Preview & Visible in Prints - see photos

Hello, 

I'm slicing with cura and the initial print layers are not perfect. When looking at the initial layer in Cura preview, it starts with the inner wall, then inner shell, then inner wall again, then outer shell, then a small strip labeled Extruder 1. 

The Extruder 1 seems to be filling in the centre line and is visible in the print and does not have a matching smooth finish to the shell and inner wall lines. 

How can I get this last inner line of the initial layer to print as the "inner wall"?

Printing on Ender Pro 3 - Levelling test prints run great, nozzle has just been replaced, new roll of filament, extruder clean and working normal.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 9.35.39 PM.png

IMG_1951.jpg

Posted · Cura Initial Layer Extruder Displays in Preview & Visible in Prints - see photos

Yeah that's a common question and I'm not 100% sure of the answer.  I think the new beta version of Cura (version 5.X aka archne) is supposed to do a better job with this exact issue?  Maybe?  I haven't been paying too much attention but you could download and try that beta version of Cura.

Also the mb version of cura seems to usually do a better job regarding this exact issue.  At least it does for my models - not sure of this particular model.  You can get that version of cura here:

https://github.com/smartavionics/Cura/releases

The smartavionics version is the same person as burtoogle here on this forum.  I have met him personally and he has been contributing (as an outsider) to Cura for many years.  I trust his code.

Arachne and "mb cura" do better on thin walls so I think they will also do better on this thin infill.  But I'm not certain as the situation is a little different.  Similar but different.

Interesting! I was hoping there could be a work around within the same software. Could increasing my model from 5mm to 5.4mm or 5.2mm make a difference or is this all Cura related?

Well you can change your line width a little bit.  Assuming you have a 0.4mm nozzle, 0.3mm to 0.6mm line widths are printable.  So if you go slightly thicker line widths you should be able to close up that gap mostly.  And I think there is an option to ignore the gap if it's below a certain size.  Or you can disable infill for this area of the print maybe.  Hmm.  I guess you'd be disabling skin.  So you can disable top or bottom layers for this section of the print potentially.

You aren't going to get the gap size 100% perfect but maybe close enough if you play with the line width.

Normally you shouldn't have to mess with line width to fix this kind of thing but if you are printing 10 or more identical parts then it starts to be worth the trouble.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sugarjarcookies said:

The Extruder 1 seems to be filling in the centre line and is visible in the print and does not have a matching smooth finish to the shell and inner wall lines. 

I guess many people will say: "so what?".

If you want that surface to look better you can try ironing.  Ironing only improves top surfaces but I think you implied this was the bottom of your print.

5 hours ago, gr5 said:

Or you can disable infill for this area of the print maybe.  Hmm.  I guess you'd be disabling skin.  So you can disable top or bottom layers for this section of the print potentially.

The setting is called "Fill Gaps Between Walls". That's the "small [yellow] strip" in preview.  Set it to "Nowhere".

5 hours ago, gr5 said:

maybe close enough if you play with the line width.

Yes, choose proper values for "Outer Wall Line Width" and "Inner Wall(s) Line Width". The goal is an even number of lines without gap. That's all.

image.png.b5b28a221d240aa47e0467ce8b65335e.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

The setting is called "Fill Gaps Between Walls". That's the "small [yellow] strip" in preview.  Set it to "Nowhere".

Yes, choose proper values for "Outer Wall Line Width" and "Inner Wall(s) Line Width". The goal is an even number of lines without gap. That's all.

image.png.b5b28a221d240aa47e0467ce8b65335e.png

Amazing! Ive adjusted and running a test print now