Prints quitting not sure where the problem is...

shiver

Posted · Prints quitting not sure where the problem is...

I’ve been having a problem with my Rostock Max I can’t solve and seems lots of people have it.

I’m not sure if it’s hardware or software have tried numerous things.

Prints and will randomly quit on me. The motors stop, but HEAT stays on.

It never did this before just about roughly 8 months ago started doing it. Could have been software updates but my hardware hasn't changed

Last model for example, I printed a small version for testing, printed perfect. Then resized for large print then it quit 3 hours into printing.

I use Cura to slice, and Repetier to print ( Mac, OS Mavericks ).

It has large polygons but small items will occasionally stop as well at random spots.

Some are saying it's Cura, others that it's cable shielding, I'm not sure as nothing I tried works.

Anyone familiar with this and if there is a definite solution?

many thanks in advance!

A

I strongly suspect this is a USB issue. I would spend the $10 and get a USB hub to buffer the signal just to see if that helps. Or try a different computer and maybe a more expensive (and short) USB cable.

Many UM1 and UM2 users have had issues that sound exactly like this (randomly stops printing for no apparent reason and just sits there making an ugly blob) and fixed it by changing one of those 3 things (cable, usb buffer/hub, computer).

Thank you sir! I have a new cable and using my USB hub hopefully this will work I'm going to try a 16 hour print.

Will post results later

thank you!!

If all you are doing with Cura is slicing the file, it's definitely not Cura that's the problem. Gcode is just a text file, and while you might argue about whether it slices everything exactly the best possible way, it's well tested enough to where we can say with some confidence that there's nothing in it's output that will crash a properly set up printer.

So, either your printer electronics are just not rock solid stable, and occasionally crash of their own accord, or there's some sort of USB interference/stability problem that is causing issues.

What firmware are you running on the printer?

I had it happen several times, and I have to restart everything, computer and Ultimaker.

and it always happens when certain appliances are turned off or on, especially turning off the lights in the room.

even turning on the oven in the kitchen downstairs can trigger this.

it's well tested enough to where we can say with some confidence that there's nothing in it's output that will crash a properly set up printer.

The final ;CODE_PROFILE_STRING has caused crashes on other firmware, but other then that, the code that Cura generates is pretty basic (intentionally)

I highly recommend an SD card solution like the UltiController.

Yeah I tried my Hub, a new Cable ( tried 3 so far ) and turned off the screensaver.....1 item printed, the other crashed.

I'm using a high quality power bar, that's the only other thing I could do not sure it would change anything plugging directly into a wall...but nothing will reach it's location.

It's pretty frustrating when the manufacturer's recommendations don't work.

I think it's 0.90 I upgraded a couple months ago I see there is a 0.91 now I'll try that

The profile string in the end could cause problems because of its length (if the firmware isn't clever enough to deal with it), but that should only happen right at the end of the print, when it gets to that point, not in the middle of the print.

If not USB related, I guess it could just be a problem with the electronics board or indeed a firmware bug. When you say 0.90... is that Repetier Firmware?

Not sure what the state of support is in Marlin for your printer, but you could try that if it's supported. You could also try using a different program to send the gcode to the printer - perhaps Pronterface?

pronterface can be downloaded here. It's a very easy to use gui and will print gcode files through USB for you and much more:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

Hey Folks. The problem has been solved.

Everyone was blaming other software, or hardware issues, cooling, screensavers, usb cables all did nothing.

I updated to Repetier firmware 0.91, a Build was made for the Rostock Max by the makers now no more stoppages.

I printed 2 complex models that were stopping on me every time and printed both twice with no problems.

all the best