3D Model Showing Up in Cura With Dark Plane

Posted · 3D Model Showing Up in Cura With Dark Plane

Whenever I go to import my .stl model into Cura, a dark gray plane appears, along with the model, positioned at the build plate. I cannot find a way to select or delete the plane, and it limits the printable size of the model when it extends beyond the build plate. The plane does not appear in blender (the program used to create the files) or in 3D viewer for both .obj and .stl files.

I have included a screenshot of the issue and my .stl and .obj files below.

Also, when I try to upload the .obj file into Cura instead, all that appears is the dark gray plane without the model.

Issue.PNG

shipModelPrint.stl shipModelPrint.obj

There's lots of issues with this model according to cura.

I opened it up in meshlab and I could see these points (not lines or surfaces) at the two tips of that shape that are far from the model.  You should start by deleteing these.

Cura says you have 26 separate submeshes and also that the model is not "water tight" aka "manifold".  That doesn't sound good.

You could try a free model repair service but I recommend you try to figure out how to create 3d printable parts in Blender.  Blender was not designed to create 3d parts so it lets you create nice virtual models (visible in a computer but with no physical thickness) so for example you can create infintiely thin walls and stuff that isn't printable in Blender.

Google around - try something like "making manifold parts in blender".

netfabb free repair service is here (you have to create a free account first):
    https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

I realize that Blender is not the go-to software for 3D printing, but nonetheless it should still work. These issues trouble me because while the model is still in blender prior to exporting as a .obj or .stl, it is indeed a manifold. This was the first thing I checked. In the newer editions of Blender some 3D printing tools have even been added to make these types of fixes easier. Also, I cannot find any external points to the model that form the plane I'm seeing in Cura.

I just tried to re-import the exported model back into Blender, and it arrived with a whole myriad of issues that the original model does not have. Apparently Blender has some issues with exporting its files? I'll look into it. Thank you for the response!

blenderSelect.PNG