4.9.1 Ignoring holes

merryw_t

Posted · 4.9.1 Ignoring holes

GregValiant I've unhidden those settings and they are all off.

I've tried in archane as well it has the same behaviour.

I cut the holes by subtacting a cylinder the protruded at least 20mm beyond the top and bottom faces.

Even in cura preview I can see your holes have no walls to them. 

It's hard to explain in words.  I assume you want the holes to be cylindrical.  But in your STL they are not.  Your holes need walls to them to explain their shape.  A human such as myself can guess that you want cylindrical holes like created by a drill bit.  But in your model they could be cone shaped holes or curvy holes or whatever.  In your model they are not proper holes with walls.

What cad software did you use?

Actually maybe now I'm thinking you want your part to be 99% hollow?  If so then you only have half the walls.  Your CAD needs to show the outer wall (which it does) and then the inner walls which look almost identical to the outer walls but are inwards a bit (by your desired wall thickness).  Also you need to add connecting walls between the inner and outer walls.

Right now all the walls are infinitely thin.

gr5 I used TurboCad Pro 2020.

I got the base plug stl from thingiverse and loaded it into TurboCAD. I draw a circle of 8mm diameter where I wanted the holes. Extruded it bidirectionally for 50mm (much taller than the plug). I subtracted the each extrusion one by one. TurboCAD shows the holes in hidden line removal and when rendered. 

The model when imported into cura shows the holes.

I'll try using cylinders (3d primitive) rather than an extrusion to create the holes.

@merryw_t your model is broken. This is what I get when loading it into Cura:
    image.thumb.png.87c60688c79610746b40773c07dd15d3.png

@nallath I think that the model I got from thingiverse has that issue to start with and I have just made it worse.

The original is https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3516598

OK I've given up on that base stl and just grabbed a 40mm thread and started again. IT was too much work to correct the original model as when I loaded it into tinkercad to see what another CAD system though most of the hand grip disappeared. Going forward I'll just use the original plug where I need a blanking plug in my small suction system for a mini wood lathe.

Cura is showing the holes in the new model in preview and I'll get a couple printing later today / tomorrow when my printer has finished to job that it has on the go.

Thanks for all your help.

I will be leaving a comment on the plug model on thingiverse to inform the model originator of the problems that it has - if he doesn't know of them already.

It's odd that it was OK without the holes.  When you made the holes it only made circles in the top and bottom leaving the inside hollow.  without the holes it sliced as you would expect.

The attached file has been repaired.  There is one 8mm hole on the centerline and four 8mm holes on a 25mm bolt hole diameter.  It looked like that's what you wanted.  I used MS3D Builder to put the holes in and then repaired the altered model using Service.Netfabb.Com.

Oh, and you type too quick.

GV Repaired Plug.stl

• Like 1