Front fan cage modification

Posted · Front fan cage modification

Hello

looks great in any case! Thumbs up.

The problem with such modifications is the lack of long-term experience.

With the previous solution, you can look through and see if anything has got caught in the fan. Since I mainly print PA and ABS, I have few worries about the fan. I take the opportunity to look through the slots before I start printing. I have a long-haired brush that cleans it off quickly.

With your design, I don't know if that means more or less effort in the long run.

If I want to have a look, I have to dismantle the part. The flap is fixed with magnets. If it opens during printing because of the construction, I'll be angry with you 😉

Your printer looks fairly new and the flap can't be any older. I can tell by the print head. It's discoloured. So I wait and see what comes.

Many greetings

Posted (edited) · Front fan cage modification
    44 minutes ago, UlrichC-DE said:

Hello

looks great in any case! Thumbs up.

The problem with such modifications is the lack of long-term experience.

With the previous solution, you can look through and see if anything has got caught in the fan. Since I mainly print PA and ABS, I have few worries about the fan. I take the opportunity to look through the slots before I start printing. I have a long-haired brush that cleans it off quickly.

With your design, I don't know if that means more or less effort in the long run.

If I want to have a look, I have to dismantle the part. The flap is fixed with magnets. If it opens during printing because of the construction, I'll be angry with you 😉

Your printer looks fairly new and the flap can't be any older. I can tell by the print head. It's discoloured. So I wait and see what comes.

Many greetings

You don't need to disassemble anything. The fan cage opens up as usual. The mod just slides ontop of the current fan cage. It's an interference fit and the inside has rubber lip on it to keep it from moving.

My magnets actually aren't strong for some reason so I also tape the front cage on the 90 degree bend so it doesn't open up during the print. I have an idea for a mod to replace the tape but I'll get to it when I get to it. 

Edited by Jhawk6553

Hello

As I wrote, I clean with a brush. The brush has bristles about 50mm long. I use it to poke through from the front (where your grille is now).
    I only open the flap to take out the threads.

Some people have used clamps to get around the magnets on the flap. Opinions are divided on this.
    Some would like to have it firmly closed with clips. Others want to preserve the flap in case the print head fills up.
    There is still a 50/50 chance that the flap will open and the printhead and the cores can still be saved.

Many greetings

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, UlrichC-DE said:

Hello

As I wrote, I clean with a brush. The brush has bristles about 50mm long. I use it to poke through from the front (where your grille is now).
    I only open the flap to take out the threads.

Some people have used clamps to get around the magnets on the flap. Opinions are divided on this.
    Some would like to have it firmly closed with clips. Others want to preserve the flap in case the print head fills up.
    There is still a 50/50 chance that the flap will open and the printhead and the cores can still be saved.

Many greetings

Ahh misread what you said. Makes sense.