Lay objects outside bed during print

Posted (edited) · Lay objects outside bed during print

Greetings Im new to this.

Can anyone advise, is it OK to leave additional components outside of the build area or are there downsides to this?

My reasoning is build the first item, then move it out of the way then move and build the second item?

Thanks vm.

Al.

2021-07-28_10-45.thumb.png.b4bd745841808e742866464221c42516.png

Edited by BigAlGeorge
update
  • Like 1

• gr5 changed the title to Lay objects outside bed during print
Posted · Lay objects outside bed during print

The part off the plate is ignored and won't be in the slice.  As long as the parts are separate you should be good to go.  If the parts were located like that in a Group or Merged then Cura wouldn't slice because together they don't fit on the build plate.

If you are printing with a skirt you can make it 3 loops around at 1mm from the part.  That would make the reserved gray areas smaller and you might fit both on the plate at the same time.  That would mean that both parts would have the same settings (there are some "Per Model" settings that could be applied).  Stringing between parts can be an issue.

Leaving them separate they can be printed with their own settings which would include Layer Height.

Posted (edited) · Lay objects outside bed during print

Different materials so separate prints. Appreciate reply the skirt info I didnt know as well.

In this jar opener (project) the handles were tricky to fit to bed, and several inserts, so have a rethink that I dont want to move the handle out of the frame, but the inserts being outside are fine.

As I see it, the project saves current layout only, but I desire to keep the handle layout, as a (fixed) file. Do I need to make several projects eg handle project & inserts project, so I can go back to same handle layout, or is there another method?

Thanks, Al.

Edited by BigAlGeorge
    rethink

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you want to do.  You have the 3mf file with all the parts in it.  Do you have the separate STL's?  Are you trying to separate all the parts so you can make individual 3mf or STL files?

Right now with what I see in your screenshot if you create a 3mf file for the handle project then that is all that will print.  The inserts are in the file but off the build plate so they might be baggage in the file but they don't hurt the handle project.  After you have that project saved (all parts) you could delete the handle, move the inserts over, set up Cura for them, and then create another 3mf project file for just the inserts.

If you were to then re-open the handle 3mf file you could delete the inserts and re-save the 3mf with just the handle.

You would end up with two project files.  You could break it down further and create a project file for each insert but it looks as if you could print them all together so a single 3mf for the inserts is likely all you need.

The "File | Export..." command isn't the same as "Save Project".  When the Export command is used there are numerous options for file type.  The binary STL may be the most popular but the default is 3mf.  It's a different 3mf format though and will only contain the part, no settings, no printer because although it's also a *.3mf file it is not a project file.

Aren't you glad that's so clear?

Excellent and fully understood. That is what I thought. It makes sense to keep each project file eg like you say one for handle another for inserts, in the same directory then all is tickety boo.

Thanks again.

Al.